• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Challenge for the weekend....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Im thinking:

3 cottontails with the pistol,
Plus either:

a badger,
a shed antler,
a picture of a bison
a coyote, or
an arrowhead/geode.

I'll take any two out of the list, or just 2 cottontails and any other two other items. Sunrise to sunset Saturday with a 75 mile stretch of highway and patches of sage...should get into something if i pack a lunch...

Will try to dig out my extra battery so i don't run out of camera juice...

Last edited:
I like finding thrown horse shoes, but they are generally less rare than your list in my neck of the woods, with the possible exception of coyotes.

Well, here's what i came up with:

Bison and two rabbits...

20211002_084155.jpg

I GUESS, since a jackrabbit is twice the size of a cottontail, then technically a jackrabbit (bottom) and a cottontail (top) counts as 3 cottontails, right?...nope.😣

20211002_115756.jpg
Tatanka...

20211002_125215.jpg

Tracks

20211002_200847.jpg

No arrowheads, but I did find an agate bed where there was clear evidence of people going there in the past to collect flakes to make heads out of. There were lots of cortexes like these. I'm no expert, but im guessing you can pack more efficiently if you whack off big flakes in the beds and leave the waste, and just take the larger flakes back to be knapped further? Or maybe the idea was just knap in the beds since that's where the material is at? I dont know... lots of chips everywhere though...

Last edited:
Make double sure you stop and walldrug and go all the way to the back, outside into the other building, and look at all the period photo black and whites from the settlement and indian war days.

Very cool, thanks for sharing. Are the Jacks any good to eat? I'm a big fan of cottontails, but no Jacks around here.

They are quite interesting to eat. Thats for sure. Most people will say you can't eat them, but thats bullcrap. They are just fine. I have heard that the children of the great depression grew up on nothing but jackrabbits, and looked upon them as poverty food...and perhaps that's where the reputation arose. Man though, they are good. Last one i did was in a crockpot. Had about 3.5 pounds of meat off one jack.

They are quite interesting to eat. Thats for sure. Most people will say you can't eat them, but thats bullcrap. They are just fine. I have heard that the children of the great depression grew up on nothing but jackrabbits, and looked upon them as poverty food...and perhaps that's where the reputation arose. Man though, they are good. Last one i did was in a crockpot. Had about 3.5 pounds of meat off one jack.
I always figured they were good enough to eat. I would be making Jack Rabbit pot pie if they were in these parts. Good job on the posts with that pistol too.

Back