• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chainfires...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightwind

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Guys, I may have stumbled onto another possibility of chainfires when it happens after the first "shot". I just got back from a national pistol shoot, and happen to see the post below regarding chainfires. so, here's my theory;

I was shooting my Remmy '58, and had a misfire. I believe the cap was put on a little crooked and wasn't fully seated on the nipple. When I pulled the trigger, the hammer merely smashed/crushed the cap without going off. I had immediately replaced the cap with a new one and set the "smushed up" one aside. After finishing the target and waiting for the relay to end, I curiously examined the cap. Hmmmm....is that what I think it is? Got my magnifying headlens on and examined it reeeeeal close. Sure enough, there was a crack on the bottom side of the "cup", and I could barely see the contents inside! and a smudge of it was actually squeezed to the edge the crack, just waiting for some ignition!!!! I believe I was next in line for a chainfire.

I still can't explain a first shot chainfire, other than I've witnessed in my own experience, a loose fitting cap coming off an adjacent nipple before I fired the first shot. And was relieved I spotted it before firing. As far as a groove in the ball letting flame enter from the front, I can't believe anybody would shoot that poor of a quality ball in the first place. It was a reject and should have gone back in the pot.

This shed a new view on chainfires to this guy. Hope this helps.

Back