• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Certified Range Officer Needed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In urgent need of a certified range officer for a small rendezvous (about 22 camps and 20 shooters) at Burr Oak State Park in Ohio the week of June 2nd through 9th. We had two lined up, then one decided just last week that he couldn’t. The second one then realized that he had forgotten to renew his certificate. The Ohio Dept. of Natural Resources requires that we have at least one certified range officer. The range officer would be needed from 9:00 to 10:30 A.M. on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday (June 5,6,7, and 8). We can pay $200 and if he wishes the officer can camp free at the rendezvous. The event is primitive, but there is an area of the site where an RV could be parked with electric hookup. Camp feast on Tuesday. If anyone would be willing to help out, we really don'
t want to cancel the event! Please contact Booshway Roy Unger at 740-803-5030 or Scribe Miriam Truex at 740-405-5409 (e-mail [email protected]).

Bump to top.

I would hate to see an event like this cancelled because of that sort of technicality. I sincerely hope someone amongst you Buckeye boys will step up and help out.

I am an NRA certified Range Safety Officer. I would love to help, but I’m in Florida, and that’s farther than I can travel.

Regarding RSO certification, it involved sitting in class for a few hours one Saturday morning at the local gun club, of which I am a member. My brother and I completed the course together and went out for a barbecue lunch afterward. It was not a bad day. Since then, the NRA contacts me every couple of years to renew. I send them some money (maybe $25 or so, I don’t remember), and I’m certified for another couple of years. Most of what they covered in the course was common-sense shooting safety, but they also covered a few things I had not considered. One of these things was “Standard Operating Procedures,” or SOPs. These are documents that describe how your special programs or shooting disciplines (e.g. muzzleloading matches) are managed. The SOP designates the equipment to be used and so forth, but also specifies things like evacuation routes in case of fire, whom to call for medical emergencies, and that sort of thing. If you want to pitch an idea for a new shooting discipline or event to your gun club or state park or whatever, a well-written SOP can go a long way toward getting approval. This sort of thing is good for know, if you are sponsoring events that involve shooting.

My point here is that it would probably be worthwhile for one or more members of your rendezvous committee to look into getting RSO certification. It doesn’t cost much, in today’s dollars, and if several people agree to take the course you could all do it together. It may be too late for this upcoming event, but looking into the future, it could save you some headaches.

Just my thoughts on the topic, respectfully suggested. Good luck to you and your crew. I sincerely hope you folks find somebody to fill that RSO position, and that you have a safe and enjoyable event.

Notchy Bob

I got my NRA RSO cert online, easy and not difficult. Online renewals every 2 years are simple.
Now, that's a good idea! One or more of the rendezvous committee members could probably get that done before the event. I didn't know the RSO course was available online.

Notchy Bob

The two we had are members of the group, but yes,it would be good for a couple more of us to get certified. I'm going to check with the NMLRA for possible contacts.

Back