• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Central Victorian (Australia) Black Powder shooter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you are not rebelling at Ballarat do you do R Vous type events ?. I made a long rifle after Shroyer with the Distalfink bird tool/patch box surround .It went to Doug Murray in Echuca then sold on the Sherriff of Wangeratta. 1980s pretty thing wonder if you came across it . I used to call Echuca my second home (.Ime into steam boats) theres two other guns about or where .
Now anchored hard & fast in NZ .There's a few of my make here too but most went to US & Canada market. Just curious .
Regards Rudyard

Howdy from DFW,Texas. Always wanted to go to Australia. Fascinating country, but y'all could do without the snakes. Welcome to the forum.

Dear Poboy. I used to wander about the bush of Australia for years would camp down by any river or creek of an evening Yes you see the odd snake and there about but much more interested in getting away from you than comeing for you. Ime sure you have snakes too (There are non in NZ, no crocks, no biteies of any consequence ) So you may as well pop over to NZ after you have taken in a trip to Australia . They do have sticky mud in places just like Texas. Booligal is famous for it but Engonia is far worse I found . It is a land "Where the creeks run dry or ten feet high & there's either drought or plenty" The lines in the old ballad of 'the Queensland drover' .Well if it ever rains this is . Don't camp in a dry creek bed & If the Cockatoos start fussing get out of the creek fast as it does rain some times . Gun wise its a mess due to poli useless tichians. . But where is any place not troubled by such pests ? .
Regards Rudyard

Good on ya Rudyard.

Zip up your tent in Australia, no snakes. But there are Bears in America, I don't think a tent will stop them. However, as humans, we are pretty adaptable and so we can enjoy the outdoors where ever we are. Saying that though, the two countries outside of Australia I have spent the most time on holidays (vacation) is Ireland and New Zealand - no snakes!

Oh Yes! "I come from the northern plans were girls and grass are scanty" . I got bored over Easter because of the lock down so I actually recorded the song and put on YouTube, along with a couple other trad tunes. Beware, I am no maestro.

Good rendering Eureka rebel. Mine varies but so will all folk songs . I often muse I should go up to Alice and do songs for the tourists. That & the poems of Henry Lawson &' Banjo' Patterson' Bullockies lament' '.Mulga Bills bycicle ' ,' Bush Christening' ',Clancy of the Overflow' that stuff .'Old Black Alice' might not float too well . I.me only a Guernsey Tom but I can fake it quite well .And I went out Overland in 66. landed with 3 quid to my name but made out .Don't have to be born there to love a sunburnt country .
Anyway best refrain from renderings and stick to guns . What do you shoot ?. Ime mostly into Flint & earlier sorts made some number over 60 years inc some rock drill specials up at Dampier WA ( a marked improuvement on my copper pipe matchlock !) .I left them under rocks that had Aboriginal carveing on the them never got back . There that's some gun stuff .
Cheers Rudyard

Good rendering Eureka rebel. Mine varies but so will all folk songs . I often muse I should go up to Alice and do songs for the tourists. That & the poems of Henry Lawson &' Banjo' Patterson' Bullockies lament' '.Mulga Bills bycicle ' ,' Bush Christening' ',Clancy of the Overflow' that stuff .'Old Black Alice' might not float too well . I.me only a Guernsey Tom but I can fake it quite well .And I went out Overland in 66. landed with 3 quid to my name but made out .Don't have to be born there to love a sunburnt country .
Anyway best refrain from renderings and stick to guns . What do you shoot ?. Ime mostly into Flint & earlier sorts made some number over 60 years inc some rock drill specials up at Dampier WA ( a marked improuvement on my copper pipe matchlock !) .I left them under rocks that had Aboriginal carveing on the them never got back . There that's some gun stuff .
Cheers Rudyard
Only got the two front stuffers at the moment, left handed percussion Lyman Great Plains in 50 Cal and a Pedersoli P58 Enfield. I am member of the Seymour Black Powder Club and have only been shooting there (well until CV19 put a stop to it) for the last 4 years. I had previously been a member of the SPBC back in the mid 80's but gave it away when I left work to go to uni.

I would love to try flint lock but being a left handed shooter (only thing I do left handed) there seems to be dearth of left handed flint locks in Australia. Perhaps one day I will find one.

Cheers

Only got the two front stuffers at the moment, left handed percussion Lyman Great Plains in 50 Cal and a Pedersoli P58 Enfield. I am member of the Seymour Black Powder Club and have only been shooting there (well until CV19 put a stop to it) for the last 4 years. I had previously been a member of the SPBC back in the mid 80's but gave it away when I left work to go to uni.

I would love to try flint lock but being a left handed shooter (only thing I do left handed) there seems to be dearth of left handed flint locks in Australia. Perhaps one day I will find one.

Cheers
Welcome from a UK shooter. You don’t need a left handed flintlock. I’ve shot right handed flintlocks, left handed for over 40 years with no problems. In fact, I’m so used to it, that when I got a lefty, I found it difficult to prime. Get a right handed flinter and go for it

Cheers Maurice,The training at Starlight Hotel behind Short Siberia stood you in good stead for your many long travels around the world. The Left & Right Squirrels were good too..OLD DOG..

Dear Eureka Rebel Seymour getting into Kelly Country . I once bought an engine from a 90 year old gentleman would sometimes refer to' Uncle Ned ' He was related but though I knew the history I could never bring it up would'nt have been polite, might upset him . Left handed flint can be shot by RH shooter I had an old gun was made up from some French double . Loot from the wars I expect Ive made LH ers there are quite a few LH locks offered these days . Mind you do have two useful rifles. I used to have a Vic licence they did have workable laws before it all went stupid I used to shoot at Tynong range. I got about a lot . with my work . You picked a good mix of ML shooters experiences in M L forums, all levels. I tend to be mostly on the Pre flintlock posts or any that seem of interest not much up on factory guns there where none when I got into M L ing , or none my funds ran too originals where about or bits I would cobble up .Still some of my pets are rust steaks but had tolerable bores a 24 bore two grouve being a favourite . Any more songs ? Old Bullock Dray , Numerella Shore ,Banks of the Condamine if a duet., . Look out below ,. All good stuff.
Regards Rudyard
PS They wern't R & left handed squirrels just hot & cold running ones !

Last edited:
Hello

I am a black shooter here in Australia and I am member of the Seymour BlackPowder Club. I only have 2 muzzle loaders, but desire more, like any normal black powder shooter would.

Currently have a Lyman Great Plains Rifle, 50 cal left handed percussion, and a Pedersoli P58 Enfield. Still working out the P58 but the Great Plains rifle is a ripper shooter.

Look forward to learning and sharing on this forum.

Cheers

Simon (EurekaRebel)
Gday Mate,
50 years ago, I almost made it to Australia on R & R. Ended up in a hospital instead. One of my best rifles was a Lyman percussion. They are solid with good barrels and when I was younger, I could handle the weight. I would enjoy the opinions from a person from down under. Is it true that because you are below the equator, the rivers run uphill? (chuckle)

"Oh yes, the Traps have trailed me, and been frightened out of their stripes!
They never could have took me, for they feared me cure for gripes,
And well they knew I carried it, for it was often seen
A'glistenin' in me flipper, chaps, me patent pill machine.

I'm one of the men who cradled on the reef at Tarrangower
Anxiety and misery my grim companions there,
I puddled the clay at Bendigo and chanced my arm at Kew,
And I wound up my avocation with ten years on Cockatoo

So you can understand me boys, just from me little rhyme
I'm a Maryborough miner, and I'm one of the good old time."

Welcome to the Forum, Mate, it's good to have you here.

Richard/Grumpa

Kew or Cue is way in the wops interior of WA. It sports a fine Victorian bandstand & all the buildings would look right in Victorian Lancashire . It stuck in my mind as impressive .More so remaining than more famous Coolgardy remembered more for the rhyme .
".Damn Collgardy !, Dam the track ! Damn the road both there & back ! ,Damn the water ! ,Damn the weather !, Damn Coolgardy ALL together !! "
About the water pipes but no guns so better quit .
Rudyard

Last edited:
Good on ya Rudyard.

Zip up your tent in Australia, no snakes. But there are Bears in America, I don't think a tent will stop them. However, as humans, we are pretty adaptable and so we can enjoy the outdoors where ever we are. Saying that though, the two countries outside of Australia I have spent the most time on holidays (vacation) is Ireland and New Zealand - no snakes!

Oh Yes! "I come from the northern plans were girls and grass are scanty" . I got bored over Easter because of the lock down so I actually recorded the song and put on YouTube, along with a couple other trad tunes. Beware, I am no maestro.

There is nothing better than shooting L/H flintlocks if you are L/H. I have several L/H rifles & shotguns. I live in Adelaide , South Australia. Might even have one for sale.

Dear BJm Good to hear ML ing is alive & well in Adelaide my most preffered Capital city There was a Gunmaker Green River ? & Hanby Clark seems to ring a bell .Enjoyed Adelaide .Frank Garrie still active ? Regards Rudyard

Dear BJm Good to hear ML ing is alive & well in Adelaide my most preffered Capital city There was a Gunmaker Green River ? & Hanby Clark seems to ring a bell .Enjoyed Adelaide .Frank Garrie still active ? Regards Rudyard
G'day from Adelaide, Green River Rifle Works & Hambley Clark are no longer trading . I haven't seen Frank for a while but i believe he is still alive & kicking

Back