• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Centermark Fusil de Chasse 20 ga.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks MSW and tg! I know there's quite a bit of moss in some of my hunting and fishing spots, so I'll give that a go. I'm glad u mentioned the dirt scouring the bore tg. I didn't even think of that. I suppose it could be rinsed out, and then dried. I'm also really coming into quite a bit of hornets nest lately. My friends are thinking I've gone off the deep end. :haha:

Looks as though you aquired a great gun, congrat! When you get some range reports let us know. :hatsoff:

Thanks Bassett! I will definitely do that. Been kinda crazy around here, and haven't had a chance to get her out yet, but soon. :thumbsup:

Well I know it's been awhile since I got it, but I finally had a chance to wring her out at my club's trailshoot today (Things have been pretty darn hectic of late). I decided to use 60 gr of Goex FFg, beneath a .020 patch lubed with mink oil, and a .600 roundball. Although I didn't get to do any shooting on paper, I'm really impressed with this smoothbore!! Its a pleasure to shoot and load. I hit the bell at 100 yards for my first shot. That sold me!! Various other targets at ranges from 20 - 75 yards fell as easy prey also! There was no need to swab this gun in between shots. Loading ease was consistent throughout the day. I seemed to have an easier time hitting the farther targets, rather than the close ones however. I just need to settle into an aiming regimen with only a front sight. At the end of our shoot, we have a 200 meter "bucket" shoot. The bucket is a 1' x 1' steel plate. I came within a foot of hitting it, twice, out of 5 shots. I LOVE SMOOTHBORES!! Thank you all for your advice. :hatsoff:

Cool...I cant wait to try some roundballs in my 62cal smoothy. Do you put the front site on on/under the target or above??

Southarkrob said:
Cool...I cant wait to try some roundballs in my 62cal smoothy. Do you put the front site on on/under the target or above??

Rob, what seemed to be working for me, was to just hold a dead on sight picture. I've never liked the six o'clock hold personally. But you'll have to see what gives you the best results for your gun/load combo. And remember to make sure that your front sight is at 12 o'clock, so you can be sure your barrel isn't canted right or left. Have fun! You're gonna love your smoothbore too!! Let us know how she shoots.
:thumbsup:

Southarkrob said:

And for the longer shots, I used my right eye for windage, and my left eye for how much to hold over the target...which is not really as hard as it sounds. Hope that makes sense.

". Do you put the front site on on/under the target or above??"

As mentiobed each gun will be differnent, you may have to let more barrel show in your sight picture on long shots(raising the rear sight.."your head")
when testing a new smoothbore I like to bring the gun up tp the shooting position with eyes closed then open my eyes and see what things look like at this point I like to see a bit of the top breech flat and the front sight, if not I move my head up or down till I get this picture and put the sight on target 6'O'clock or whatever method you choose and fire and see where the ball goes from thewre youcan raise the headtill the whole barrel shows or lower till only the tip of the sihght is seen, always keep the sight centered with the center of the breech top flat, moving either way off this mark will affect windage, he barrel can be bent)some file the crown of the muzzle) if need be to avoid having to hild ones head 6" off the stock and 3" to one side, it is best to get the feel of the gun and try differnt loads before doing and major barrel alignment tasks.George has a very good site on smoothbore shooting you might want to take a look at. I do not have the addy offhand but someone will likley post it.

my SB has a "turtle" site on the front.when looking down the barrel the bottem makes a horizontal line and the post makes a vertical line like an upside down T I place the horizontal line across the target and use the vertical line to disect it vertically,POA is where the two meet,"maureen" usually hits real close to the place these two intersect,out to 60yds.I don't snuggle realy close to the stock like a rifle, more like a shot gun

Back