• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Centermark Fusil de Chasse 20 ga.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you need to start gathering up lead, patches, powder and flint, I think you are going to need it real soon

T.O. I already have most of that for my rifle in fact. But I need to get flints. Do these take musket flints?

Welp I am the proud new owner of a Centermark .62 Fusil de Chasse! Picked it up yesterday with all the extras. I almost couldn't fit it all in my Jeep! Can't wait to give her a tryout! I'll try and post some pics as soon as I get a chance to take some. The guy I bought it from, said he used 80 gr. Of FFg for shooting a .600 patched roundball. With .020 patching. Sound about right to you fellers?

Sounds like a lot of patch with that ball but give it a try, powder charge is OK, could go heavier with 2f, all depends on how it shoots have fun

Thanks for the advice tg. I'll mic the patches he gave me just to see what thickness they are. I'll play around with some different loads to see what works best in it. It sure is a light and lively gun. :)

You willenjoy it afyter building mine in .58 I got rid of all my other guns and have but the one whereas before i had up to 20 at one time I am considering adding a .66 barrel for large birds and someday a .62 mike Brooks Carolina gun...it don't get no better than that :thumbsup:

I have my best luck with .10 patching .600 ball and 80 grns of 3f in my centermark.

Thanks for the replies TG and Caddo. I think I'm gonna try the patches and balls he gave me, play around with different powder charges. I have 3Fg for my rifle that I'm gonna try too. I don't have a manual for the gun, so was wondering if you guys might know the maximum safe load for these guns. I don't want to exceed that. The barrel is thinner than I'm used to. Don't like wasting powder if I can help it. Also, what do you guys use for wadding with a roundball? And how do you place the ball, in or on the wadding? Want to get a good feel for shooting roundball before I graduate to shot, but it's coming!! :thumbsup:

Thanks Swampy! Its gonna be a fun hunting season this year I'm sure.
:thumbsup:

"The barrel is thinner than I'm used to. Don't like wasting powder if I can help it. Also, what do you guys use for wadding with a roundball? And how do you place the ball, in or on the wadding"

The thickness of the barrel is important at the breech I do not know the max load for that gun I would feel safe with 100+gr 2f or 80ish 3f but that much may not be needed usually the hot loads are not with smoothbores in my experience, you can use wadding or cards put wadding of tow or wool or moss or leaves...you get the idea, put some over the powder, I like to tamp it down with a near bore sized RR then add ball and enough wadding atop ball to hold in place, with cards I use one of the over powder cards then the ball then an over shot card to hold te ball in place this combo is juggled around indifferent ways by many you have to see what works for you.Enjoy the journey

I would like to hear from some experienced hunters who use a 20 ga. smoothie. I seem to recall a fellow who brought down a lot of critters from buff to elk and more using about 80gr bp with a ball. Most smoothies are not very heavy and methinks a charge exceeding 80 gr. would be a shoulder pounder.

Thanks tg! Like you said, I'm gonna play around with different things. I've heard also that hornet's nest is traditional. So I've been gathering up as much as I can at work and such. The breech end is a lot thicker too. Its an octagon to round barrel. But it never hurts to ask what works for other folks! It makes sense that the breech takes the brunt of the pressure. Gonna have to start shopping around for some 18th century garb now too.
And Rifleman, I agree. Would be nice to hear some hunting tales too.

I have a centermark tulle that I have owned for 30 yrs. fits me well Have shot it enought to hit what I am aiming at 100 yds little kentucky windage and some that ought to do it. and pratice pratice pratice pratice pratice pratice and when your done doing that just a little more PRATICE And allways shoot in to a soft back stop to recycle the lead. Go green/gray

I have had three .62 smoothbores and with 70-80 gr of 3f the large buttplate cancof different styesels out the recoil one does want the gun to fit well or it can smack your cheek, I use wasps nest at times for wadding but have yet to find any period documentation for it, Spanish moss yes.

You might be surprised we have one variety of moss that hangs lomg and works well for wadding I dio not know if it is the same Genis but is works, close enough for me anyway, I doubt that my wool or linen in the cloths I wear come from the same genetic stock that was around over 200 years ago but I do not count the "stitches" that close.I suspect that any dry/dead moss would probably work as do leaves, I try to collect clean flora so as not to scour my bore with sand and dirt.

Back