• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Center seam knife sheath

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there any historical or preferred way to wear a center seam sheath. Center seam facing in or facing out?

Years ago before he passed, forum member Chuck Barrows posted a pic with original commercial ones. ALL of them had the center seam on the back, so the smooth leather side showed on the front, either plain or decorated.

Gus

Hard to make the flap, that keeps the sheath from slipping down through behind your belt or sash. On the seam side.
20190522_161614.jpg20190522_162348.jpg
I suppose if you skip the flap and just rely on a tie to keep from losing the knife and sheath if it slips from your belt or sash, then it doesn't matter which way you wear it.

Wick Ellerbe is one to ask. He is a member of this forum.
Yes. Seam in the back if you want it to be like commercial sheaths came, if to represent home made, it doesn't matter. I have the photo that Chuck had, and those all had some decorative creasings on the front, and an integral half moon tab on back with holes for attaching ribbon or a cord to tie it on. I was working on a pattern for that type, but other things got in the way. We also have to accept that there were probably more than one type considering the different countries that supplied these knives and sheaths, and different times they were offered. I will look and see about posting those pics I have.

Original sheaths. Photos taken from a museum. N. France, Germany? I just don,t know. Europe somewhere. I believe these were originally posted by Ken Hamilton because I got them before Chuck. I have a couple more showing the backs and if I find them, I'll post them tomorrow.

Ken-H-collection-English.jpg

1634242264982.png

Thanks everybody for the info and photos. I think I will attempt to make a center seam sheath.
There is a great YouTube video that has been posted here several times before on making a center seam sheath. Of course I can't remember guys name.
I think he refers to it as a side seam,,, as opposed to edge seam.
Essentially you're just making a regular sheath that extends up the handle a bit but no welt. Then wet it, wrap the knife tightly in a thin layer of plastic wrap and put it in the sheath, now slowly and carefully work the sheath around the knife until the seam is where it should be.

Brokennock, I found a YouTube video by a Steve Davis making a center seam sheath. Not sure if that is the one you are talking about but it is pretty good.
Yup. That is the one.

The only things I really do differently would be that I don't use that huge needle (I can't remember what he uses for thread, I hate artificial sinew and use waxed linen or waxed hemp thread), I use a diamond cross section awl and a fairly small harness needle. Also, once I've turned the leather around the knife to where I want it, I place a thin craft Maple board across the flat side and two more small ones on either side if the seam on the other side and clamp them to the larger board with spring clamps. Leave it a while. This seems to set those sharp folds around the edge and spine of the blade nicely.

Last edited:
Here is how I do my CS sheaths. An old tutorial, but little has changed. MAKING A CENTER SEAM SHEATH - PaleoPlanet (tapatalk.com) I now use a 5 or 6 ply linen thread, rubbing alcohol, and once dried for a few days, a liberal dose of mineral oil. I found years back that mineral oil gives a good degree of protection against rust on guns or knives stored short term in the sheath or holster, and does not encourage insect pests to nibble on the leather. Oh, it is very, very important to coat the blade and grip section with a liberal application of wax before using the press boards. If you don't, you may have a hard time pulling the knife out after the sheath dries. I learned that the hard way.

Last edited:
Original sheaths. Photos taken from a museum. N. France, Germany? I just don,t know. Europe somewhere. I believe these were originally posted by Ken Hamilton because I got them before Chuck. I have a couple more showing the backs and if I find them, I'll post them tomorrow.

Ken-H-collection-English.jpg

View attachment 99573

Wick,

THANK YOU!!! These and the ones in your follow on post are the exact pics I was referring to in my earlier post.

These "Cartouche" Trade Knives are definitely a more expensive type that may or were for presentation to Chiefs and other important NA people. The hollowed brass scales pressed over heated cow horn (to simulate the "cloisonné craze" running through Europe during the 18th century) demonstrate that, but the knife sheaths are probably also a more expensive upgrade over plain ones with no decorative lines. Which leads me to a question.

I can't always completely trust my eyes on pics in this and other forums, due to the implanted lenses after cataract surgery, so I'm wondering if the method they used to sew the center seams on these sheaths were also a more expensive upgrade? It looks to me like they used a butt stitch to sew the leather on the back, end to end. I know you know what that means, but for others on the forum, the following pic is a demonstration of this sewing technique it looks to me like they used:

1634403704421.png

Here's what it looks like when used to sew the leather in back together:

1634403856335.png

Does this seem like the way they sewed the back of the sheaths together to you?

Gus

I don't think it is your eyes. That is not a clear photo. I think it very possibly it is a butt stitch, but I cannot tell for sure either. I cannot make out the makers name on that one knife that shows it either. These apparently were taken at the museumfurvolkurunde. German?

Tha last one in post #8, that looks like it is part of a display with other things with French language writing, looks like it may be buttstitched.

The ones above it that show several "cartouche" knives look like the standard centerseam that creates kind of a ridge down the seam. Just done by a more talented maker so the ridge is very small.

Back