• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Centennial

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Wag

40 Cal
Reaction score
Absolutely nothing to watch on TV today
So I'm spending the day watching
Robert Conrad
Blow down the barrel of his flintlock

Jim in La Luz
šŸ˜Ž

Jim, I really liked that series until it got into more modern times. There were a lot of big name stars in that. My favorite line was Pasquinnelā€™s talking to an indian chief. The chief says ā€œ why should I not kill you and take your rifleā€. Pasquinnel says ā€if you kill me I cannot bring more rifles and teach your braves how to use themā€. The chief says ā€œPasquinnel you are a wise manā€. Something along those lines. Great movie, thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
I chuckle to myself. If I like a movie I donā€™t care how many mistakes was made in a show. If I donā€™t like it all those mistakes are just so glaring.
I liked centennial, liked the miniseries liked the book and I think Mitchner took care to tell a story that was correct. Centennial and Chesapeake are two of my favorite novels

Jim, I really liked that series until it got into more modern times. There were a lot of big name stars in that. My favorite line was Pasquinnelā€™s talking to an indian chief. The chief says ā€œ why should I not kill you and take your rifleā€. Pasquinnel says ā€if you kill me I cannot bring more rifles and teach your braves how to use themā€. The chief says ā€œPasquinnel you are a wise manā€. Something along those lines. Great movie, thanks for sharing.
I think "Rude water" was the one that said that, however lame beavers yellow bullets' didn't help him much.

I chuckle to myself. If I like a movie I donā€™t care how many mistakes was made in a show. If I donā€™t like it all those mistakes are just so glaring.
I liked centennial, liked the miniseries liked the book and I think Mitchner took care to tell a story that was correct. Centennial and Chesapeake are two of my favorite novels
Mitchner and crew when setting up to do the rendezvous scene in Estes Park they were flying all over northern Colorado. One day my wife calls me at work (Ft. Collins CO - phone company) and leaves a message that I am needed at home ASAP. Our clerk comes out to the shop where I am and gives me the word. I figure my daughter probably got hurt as she was always messing with the half dozen horses we had. We live on 300 acres with access to 10,000 acres next door, so where's she's at is anyone guess. I get home and go to open the back door and it opens and here's Richard Chamberlain playing door man. I'm blown away, go inside and here's Virgil Vogel (film director and Robert Conrad) having coffee. I'm dumb founded "what is going on". Turns out they (the movie company) have rented our propery because of a box canyon on it and made a deal that anything they damage we will receive $5,000 for each issue. A few days later they are in the box canyon setting up for the wild horse scene where Michael Ansara steals the horses.

I see them in the canyon and call a neighbor thats into buckskinning too, we get dressed in our skins and go up the canyon. Vogel sees us and tells Jerry Crandal (western artist) to hang on to us. Vogel come down to where we are and hires us for the rendezvous scene. Two weeks later he calls and wants another 50 mountainmen, that's how many we have in our club. A week later he calls again wanting another 100 bodies, now I'm calling guys all over northern Colorado and Denver.

We were scheduled for 3 days that turned into 8 days (we are rescheduling vacations like crazy). We were feed with the film crew, special effects and stunt folks (great meals). We each got paid $125 a day (not bad seeing how we're on vacation pay too). That was in 1978.

In 1980 get a call from Crandall, you guys want to go to Bridger-Teton National Park ? Making a movie called "Wind River" with Brian Keith and Charlton Heston. Hell yes. Same group, same deal other than being feed they keep us in a KOA camp ground paid for. This is another story of lucking out...... Oh, the movie name was already used - now called "The Mountain Men".

Last edited:
My auntā€™s bestus friend and golf bud was Mr. Michenerā€™s personal secretary there in Austin.
I believe the "Never Summer mountains" played a big part in the book. Here they are from Aunts/cousins ranch in Grand county. (Btw, everything from the bottom of this pic to the top of the ridge in front of the Never Summers burned gone two days before second rifle elk this past October). Pretty much put the kabash on our elk hunt this year. I took this pick Sunday morning after opening day Oct. 2018.

Mitchner and crew when setting up to do the rendezvous scene in Estes Park they were flying all over northern Colorado. One day my wife calls me at work (Ft. Collins CO - phone company) and leaves a message that I am needed at home ASAP. Our clerk comes out to the shop where I am and gives me the word. I figure my daughter probably got hurt as she was always messing with the half dozen horses we had. We live on 300 acres with access to 10,000 acres next door, so where's she's at is anyone guess. I get home and go to open the back door and it opens and here's Richard Chamberlain playing door man. I'm blown away, go inside and here's Virgil Vogel (film director and Robert Conrad) having coffee. I'm dumb founded "what is going on". Turns out they (the movie company) have rented our propery because of a box canyon on it and made a deal that anything they damage we will receive $5,000 for each issue. A few days later they are in the box canyon setting up for the wild horse scene where Michael Ansara steals the horses.

I see them in the canyon and call a neighbor thats into buckskinning too, we get dressed in our skins and go up the canyon. Vogel sees us and tells Jerry Crandal (western artist) to hang on to us. Vogel come down to where we are and hires us for the rendezvous scene. Two weeks later he calls and wants another 50 mountainmen, that's how many we have in our club. A week later he calls again wanting another 100 bodies, now I'm calling guys all over northern Colorado and Denver.

We were scheduled for 3 days that turned into 8 days (we are rescheduling vacations like crazy). We were feed with the film crew, special effects and stunt folks (great meals). We each got paid $125 a day (not bad seeing how we're on vacation pay too). That was in 1978.

In 1980 get a call from Crandall, you guys want to go to Bridger-Teton National Park ? Making a movie called "Wind River" with Brian Keith and Charlton Heston. Hell yes. Same group, same deal other than being feed they keep us in a KOA camp ground paid for. This is another story of lucking out...... Oh, the movie name was already used - now called "The Mountain Men".

Wow that is so cool! I would love to hear your story about the Mountain Men which was my favorite that got me into all of this.

Latest posts

Back