• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Centaur Centennial Arms 1960 New Army Picture thread .

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddie Southgate

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Here is mine , presented to me by my pap for my 21st birthday . Pap used it during the Civil War centennial and as his timed fire target revolver during the early to mid 1960's . It has an added front sight and the hammer notch was widened to match . It was very accurate and won him many matches at Friendship and at Owl Hollow in Franklin Tennessee during that time . It's had the hound shot out of it but it still looks like it did the day he got it other than the sight mods mentioned . These are great guns and you should buy one if you ever get the chance . My pictures suck , hopefully y'all can post some better ones .
:ghostly:

Attachments

• IMAG0129 (1).JPG
    IMAG0129 (1).JPG
    275.1 KB · Views: 184
  • IMAG0130 (1).JPG
    IMAG0130 (1).JPG
    272.9 KB · Views: 198
  • IMAG0132.JPG
    IMAG0132.JPG
    291 KB · Views: 180
I see that some of these guns were made with engraved cylinders, others without engraving. Does anyone know what the difference is relative to when the guns were made ? Another words, were early guns made with engraved cylinders and later guns not ? I am excluding fluted cylinders.

Speaking of Sam Colt, all of his pistols that didn't have fluted cylinders were engraved. It was one of his methods of assuring the buyers that they were getting a real Colt pistol.

Jonathan Butcher and campfire: the Centaures were available with two styles of naval scene cylinder roll-engraving.
The earliest style made between 1960 and 1969 is similar to the famous Ormsby naval scene but has less background details. It was applied at the Belgian factory to all Civilian Models, one variant of the Pocket Army Models and Cavalry models and the 2nd variation Regular New Model Armies (RNMAs).
The other style is a replication of the Ormsby naval scene with CENTENNIAL between the scene's ends. This one was applied at US dealer and distributor Centennial Arms Corp. of Lincolnwood, IL. to the 3rd variation Regular New Model Armies (RNMAs).
For further details check the Centaure and FROCS website www.1960nma.org.
Long Johns Wolf

A 1972 production Centaure RNMA 6th variation 2nd sub-variation #13567.
Finish is high gloss polish with heat treatment as rust protection.
Was called "Stainless Look" in the advertising of then German main dealer/importer Bärbel Harlos.
Top of the barrel marking reads "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
Long Johns Wolf

Attachments

• 1-P1050778.JPG
    1-P1050778.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 105
  • 2-P1050780.JPG
    2-P1050780.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 102
  • 3-P1050781.JPG
    3-P1050781.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 98
I am always on the prowl for these at gunshows. I look for them on tables where they do not seem to belong. I have picked up a couple of these that way over the years, along with custom muzzleloaders that sellers thought were factory kit guns.

Would you say these guns are pretty much equal to the ( good) Italian reproductions ? If better, in what ways exactly ?

Jonathan Butcher and campfire: the Centaures were available with two styles of naval scene cylinder roll-engraving.
The earliest style made between 1960 and 1969 is similar to the famous Ormsby naval scene but has less background details. It was applied at the Belgian factory to all Civilian Models, one variant of the Pocket Army Models and Cavalry models and the 2nd variation Regular New Model Armies (RNMAs).
The other style is a replication of the Ormsby naval scene with CENTENNIAL between the scene's ends. This one was applied at US dealer and distributor Centennial Arms Corp. of Lincolnwood, IL. to the 3rd variation Regular New Model Armies (RNMAs).
For further details check the Centaure and FROCS website www.1960nma.org.
Long Johns Wolf

What B P Arn said plus rifling dia adjusted to chamber dia .446" and proper length arbor.
If well maintained they are the most accurate C&B revolvers.
Long Johns Wolf

What a find, EG, a Regular New Model Army (RNMA) 1st variation 1st subvariation from one of the first batches made, but most likely from the firts batch.
And also the carton of the main US dealer Centennial Arms Corp.
The * over C (sideways) stamp on the left side of barrel lug and frame and on the cylinder is the mark of inspector Deudonnè Francard from the Liège Proof house. All the Centaures were proof tested there. Francard looked after the proper testing procedure of this Centaure back then. He served there in this function between 1959 and 1968.
Early Centaure models did not have the logo on the forward left side of the frame. That was applied from the fall of 1960 only.
Long Johns Wolf

#4387 would be 1965 production, ES.
What is the inspector mark on yours, i.e. the capital letter under * sideways?
Long Johns Wolf

Latest posts

Back