• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Celebrating National Squirrel Appreciation Day!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhaverstick

40 Cal.
Reaction score
dK5FgOX.jpg

Yesterday was National Squirrel Appreciation Day but I had some things to do after work so I wasn't able to celebrate. I felt bad about that so I made sure I had time this afternoon to let my bushy tailed friends know how much I like them...right next to the biscuits and gravy.

Darren

In N.C. Pa. , we have so few squirrels left after the hoards of predators are done, I feel guilty shooting them. I've seen one squirrel in the last two years.
time to start sniping them predators.
we have little pine squirrels here and this time of year i see one scampering across the snow i feel sorry for the bugger!

In the big woods of N.Central Pa. , we have so many predators , hawks , owls , fishers , (over sized weasels intentionally stocked ) hoards of stocked coyotes , cougars , (stocked) , eagles , over run with bears , etc , etc.. Small game has no chance. In 2005/6 , we had huntable populations of squirrels , and grouse , but most are gone. Thanks to the Pa. Blame Commission. Just another self centered , bloated state govt. bureaucracy , that has lost it's original mission.

In about 1990 , I was doing business in north central Pa.. The area around the town town , was some private land , a lot of property owned and managed by a very large timber company , and National Forest Land. At the time , other areas were secretly stocked with Michigan coyotes. The first truck load of coyotes were ceremoniously released on the paper company land. Those attending the event were , officials from the paper company , Pa. Blame Comm. and a lodge brother from the local town . One of my very best friends , I could trust w/my life , was a lodge brother of the guy that witnessed the event. This happened all over the Central Pa. mountains. Another of the coyote stocking events , was accidentally discovered by a public official , another trusted good friend . He was on a back road near his home. He saw a truck parked near the end of the road and inquired about the driver's load. To my friend's surprise , the driver, said coyotes. The driver asked directions and declared he was lost , and headed for the other location.
At around the same time , folks were seeing Mountain lions generally all over central Pa. . I was on the road traveling on business every day ,and by 1992 I had seen three of the big cats w/in a short time. Hunters out in the woods , were seeing them. And again , our state conservation agency totally denied all knowledge of the events. Government agencies think folks are stupid , and lie on a daily basis. When the evidence mounts upto a given level ,it becomes undeniable. The bad part is , bloated agencies are self perpetuating , and don't give a manure about the people they are supposed to serve..............

Last edited by a moderator:
A fact is that the grey squirrels you have over on your continent is larger and meatier then the red ones we have here in Europe. it would take a lot of them to make a descent stew and a ton of work. And I am not sure they all would understand that they wold lose a battle with the humans...!:dunno:

Oh no American greys everywhere , our own reds few and far between, I have killed dozens in our massive garden London Esher area They are tasty but not yet mastered how to skin them fast Takes me 20 mins. I worry about the pox they often carry in the uk but I guess too late to worry at 78. Pubs are selling squirrel on the menus too Use a bsa Scorpio pcp 177 and 22 out to 70 yards too many houses around for real guns

Back