• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

CCI caps lot B01T -too small

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeboleo1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have always used CCI #11 caps with no problems. However, recently I opened a new tin and found that 56 of the caps would not fit the nipple --- too small. I tried 2 new nipples (as well as a friends 2 guns with #11 nipples) and the same results. Unfortunately this was the very first time I purchased a whole box (10 tins). I checked 4 other tins and found anywhere from 50 to 64 caps were too small in each tin. I wrote to CCI explaining the situation and asked if they knew of any problems with this lot and got a quick reply, saying the do not. I was asked to measure the inside and outside diameters of the small caps and let them know. I did that a few days ago and am waiting a reply. They wanted to know the lot number (on side of tin top) to check. The number is B01T. Does anyone have any tins with the same lot number?? If so, could you let me know and I can pass the info on to Justin at CCI. The small caps average .004" smaller than the good caps. I like CCI caps, just can't use the small ones.

I had that problem with one tin, however I would just start the cap on the nipple, and then fire the hammer to seat it. Then cock and fire the hammer again. This worked a 5 out of 6 times, when it did not work it was due to the side of the cap splitting.
I have never used CCI caps before this, as I normally use Rem.

I will have to look. had this problem with caps we bought a year or two ago. I bought a few thousand and one of my buddies that got some of the caps called CCI, they did not seem to care.

Fleener

The same thing happened to our club. We bought a case and several people, including myself, had issues with them being too small. I just took the nipple off my gun and *lightly* chucked it up in my battery drill and filed a little off and it worked great! The way I see it, with the price of caps these days, nipples are a lot cheaper... :wink:

Just wanted to pass along some information on this original post. After communicating with CCI and sending them a tin to examine, they requested all tins be returned to them. They replaced the tins plus all postage and were actually more than fair in this dealing. The original post never blasted CCI, only asked if anyone else had that lot number. However, I thought everyone should know that CCI took me seriously and after checking they determined the caps were not right. Nice when a company pays attention to the consumer and takes care of any problems. Kudos to CCI.

Back