• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Caught in the Rain?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
45666528921_84117cddda_b.jpg

Hc umbrella covers were made out of nagua guts or bladder. They were very expensive shipped in as they were from south middle earth. Nauga was not domesticated until the 1870s I doubt any frontiersman would have been able to afford. :)
Good idea.

Great idea. But I'll just mention that I've been caught in downpours with my flintlocks. But it isn't all that difficult to keep them in working order and mine always fired fine. Of course reloading might be a different story.

Never had much trouble in the rain with a flintlock and I faired even better once I filled the barrel channel with wax.
As yours is a cap-lock, it is even easier to avoid problems to the point where rain is a non-issue to me.

Last edited:
Never had much trouble in the rain with a flintlock and I faired even better once I filled the barrel channel with wax.
As yours is a cap-lock, it is even easier to avoid problems to the point where rain is a non-issue to me.

Same here... more work than it's worth IMO and another piece of trash that can get left in the forest. Using a well greased lock cover and the muzzle down, no problems! Certainly a A for effort! Thinking outside the box!

I have a SMR that I browned the barrel then polished it off leaving it dull gray. I fill the channel with wax and keep wood and barrel waxed and oiled. Yet, last year I got caught in a rain, drops that hit the gun stood up in proud drops... that wiped pretty easy. How ever getting home and cleaning left my barrel with small ‘c’s somewhat darker silver gray then the less of the barrel. I could polish it down but that would make it down but that would make it more shiny then I want.

"and another piece of trash that can get left in the forest."

Only by a slob. There are no slobs on this forum.
That may be true, but the reason I got into this was to do things as they did and also experience similar challenges. A plastic umbrella cover just doesn't do it for me....

I go back to the truck. Hunting is supposed to be fun. Hunting in the rain ain't fun. Never found it to be fun.

Not all of this forum is HC/PC I hope.

Or to be HC/PC I will go back to the wagon, tent or cave. and make a warm fire to sleep next too.

I’ve been out in more then one hunt that I got caught in the rain in. And a lot where it’s been misty. BH is on target that it’s fun to deal with with how they did it back then. Also heading to the truck is a good idea. As hunting seasons were few and far between during the time we play in I would bet the frontiersmen were in camp during downpours, and just waited till nicer weather.

Except, animals tend to move more when it is raining (especially if the weather will get worse - that's when they find a place to ride out the weather) and I've seen more game in the rain. I've never let a little rain put my hunt on hold...

Back in the day I use to hunt regardless of the weather. Now, the only rain I hunt in is rain that starts well after I get to my stand. If it's in anyway hard, I go home. I'm too old and have too many aches and pains to try and "tough it out".

I think that if you are not concerned with authenticity, the plastic cover is a good idea. But I will stick with my leather lock cover :)
Keith.

Back