• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Casting wrinkles??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've cast thousands of balls, from .45 to .75 and have had wrinkles, but when the mould gets up to temperature the wrinkles disappear and everything is jake! I just bought a Lee, .395, double cavity mould. Yesterday I cast up about 100 balls or more, and 'every' one of them has wrinkling. I even let the mould get hot enough to where I had to wait for the sprue puddle to solidify. I tried pouring at different angles, and nothing seemed to work. These are the smallest diameter castings I have tried, and am at a loss as to what I might be missing. Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated.
Robby

Interesting. Is it maybe your lead was hot enough to have to wait on cutting the sprue and at the same time, your mould was actually too cold?

How are you heating the mould? Is it steel or aluminum?

Hmmmph. You wiped out my first guesses about cold mold or cold lead, I think, and you shouldn't need to worry about pour angles with such small balls. Only additional things to consider are smoked cavities (perhaps too much smoke?) or pour rate. I got wrinkled balls on smaller cals both with too smokey cavities and when the orifice on my bottom-pour LEE pot was pretty constricted and flow rate slowed a bunch.

I would try starting over. Clean and degrease the mold with Birchwood-Casey "gun scrubber" or lacquer thinner or acetone; re-smoke it, tiny spot of lube on the sprue-cutter-pivot. Preheat it by dipping the corner of the mold into the melt until the metal falls away again. Start throwing a few balls. In the early days I found that any grease/wax inside would gimme wrinkles occasionally.

edited to add this from Lee website:
Wrinkled bullets, or bullets with dull edges on the base or lube grooves is usually caused by the mold blocks not being hot enough or that oil or a lubricant has gotten into the bullet cavity. Fill your melting pot right to the top with lead, when the lead is molten, dip the corner of the mold (the aluminum part) into the lead for at least 30 seconds.

A good indicator of mold temperature is the puddle that forms on top of the sprue cutter as the mold fills. If this puddle solidifies as you fill the mold, the lead inside is doing the same thing, resulting in wrinkled bullets. It should stay molten for 3 to 5 seconds after the mold fills and you stop pouring. Also make sure that the mold cavities are clean (we use Coleman lantern fuel as a solvent), and smoked.

I agree. Clean the blocks down to bare metal, degreasing with acetone, etc. Then lightly smoke the cavities and proceed as planned!

Thank you fellows!! The first thing I do with any mold is CLEAN IT with acetone. This time, I guess I was so anxious to get out shooting that I forgot that step. Funny thing is, the whole time I was casting, I had one of those funny, nagging feelings in the back of my mind that I had forgotten something, or something wasn't quite right. Thanks again, I will give it the once over and try again tonight, I hope. Whew! :redface:
Robby

If the mold is Clean, and HOT enough, then you have to consider molding technique. I found that you can't pour that lead into the mold too far from the pot, and with a bottom pour mold, you have to put the mold right UP AGAINST the spout, or you get wrinkled balls/bullets. When I used a dipper and a top pour mold, I had to hold the alum.Alloy blocks close to the molten lead, to keep the heat up, on both the mold and the dipper, or occasionally get wrinkled balls.

Finally, sometimes the hole in the cut-off plate, on the top of the mold is too Small in diameter to let you get hot lead into the mold Fast enough. Wrinkled balls are a result of the lead cooling before the ball is created. I have had this happen with Large Diameter Round balls and .45 and larger bullets/conicals. Pouring Hollow based conicals can be a real PITA for this reason, too.

I have drilled these pour holes larger- just another # drill bit size larger at a time-- and then used a center bevel cutter to re-cut the bevel on the hole in the cut-off plate. Both improve the speed at which the molten lead pours into the mold, and cure the wrinkled ball/bullet/conical problems.

Without being there with you as you cast, Its the technique issues that are most difficult to diagnose. You may nor may not be doing anything I have not done. Except, perhaps enlarging that hole in the cut-off plate. Just understand that with the suggestions you have received, the wrinkled ball problem can be cured.

Don't forget to raise the temperature on your pot. Don't be bothered about "frosted" balls. They result from the the lead being hotter than necessary, but they cast uniformly in weight, and are smooth.

I think that note from Lee Precision about the sprue lead staying molten on top of the mold for 3-5 seconds is as good a "barometer" as too whether you lead is as hot as it needs to be to get good casts, as anything I have ever tried, or observed over the years. I suspect your sprue is hardening in much less time.

I found that getting non-wrinkled balls or bullets was much harder with my usual casting temperatures when I first began to cast small caliber bullets and balls. For some reason, I was having difficulty keeping those mold blocks hot between pours, unless I set the blocks into the molten lead to warm back up before each cast. These were with the Lyman steel molds. The bottom half of the balls and bullets would come out just fine- smooth, and well filled. But, the top part, up right under the plate, would not fill correctly, or would have wrinkles right near the sprue. That is the mold that I first drilled open the hole on- altho its not been the last!

Years later, I met a man who was a professional bullet caster, and when we got talking about molds one day, and problems, I told him about this, and how I "cured the problem". He just smiled,and said, " Figured that out all by yourself, did you?"

He showed me half a dozen molds where he had changed the thickness of the cutter plates, and/or drilled out the pour holes. The only molds he had that I never saw altered were his Lyman and H&G gang molds, that poured 4-8 bullets at a time. ( Those 8-bullet molds were very heavy!) I had an opportunity to watch him use those gang molds one evening when He asked me over to talk about some legal matters while he was trying to fill an order for cast bullets. Since all I have ever used( so far) are single cavity molds, I got a very fine education, watching his molding technique, and quietly counting off the seconds he waited before he cut those sprues, and opened the molds. More important for my education was how long he warmed those molds back up before the next time he poured. He had 3 gang molds, and used them in rotation so that the blocks were hot enough by the time it was its turn to accept molten lead again. The other two were place on the top of his 20 lb. bottom pour pot. He also routinely added another ingot of lead to the pot after a double cycle of the gang molds. If any of these comments give you additional hints for changes in your casting technique, use them. :v :bow: :grin:

Are there tooling marks in the cavities? :hmm: If so, a little polishing will take care of that.

HH 60

Sounds like you found your problem, a dirty oily mold.

I clean mine with brake cleaner, spray it down while it is cold, then heat it up, and spray it again ... New molds have oils in them from the cutting process, may take a few cleanings and heat cycles to get all the oil out.

Night Owl Enterprise (NOE) is a custom mold maker and uses AL ... He recommends five (5) heat to 400 degrees then cool to room temp cycles on all his new molds.

Did a thorough cleaning, heated till the smoke stopped, cleaned again, no smoke, clean wrinkle free castings. I might have to try it on myself. :grin: Thanks again! :thumbsup:
Robby

Back