• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Casting With Bottom Pour or Ladle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregLaRoche

40 Cal
Reaction score
I read that it was best to cast round balls with a ladle and not use a bottom pour pot. Do others agree? Do I need to buy a ladle? Any difference between Lyman and RCBS ladles?
Thanks

Some people say that a ladle pours better balls. That hasn't been my experience. I have done it both ways. Now I use a bottom pour pot. It is really a chocolate and vanilla thing. Use whatever you like. A bottom pour might drip a little but it is easy to put an ingot mold or pie pan under the spout and catch the drips. I use a pair of needle nose pliers to put the drips back the pot.

I read that it was best to cast round balls with a ladle and not use a bottom pour pot. Do others agree? Do I need to buy a ladle? Any difference between Lyman and RCBS ladles?
Thanks
Thanks to one of our elite "experts" that fallacy seems to continue to be perpetuated.
I have been casting for over 50 years, ladle, gravy dipper, soup spoon, bottom pour pot.
use what you are comfortable with, use what you have or buy what you want.
As long as the mold is hot, the lead is hot and you do your job it will make good balls or bullets.

I have never been able to reliable cast minies of any weight or configuration with a bottom pour furnace but I have no problems at all casting round balls or bullets with one. whether I use a ladle or bottom pour often depends on what alloy I need and what is in the bottom pour at the time. When I was young and poor I cast hundreds of balls on the electric range with a stainless sauce pan, stainless spoon, brass bag mold, side cutters and a leather glove (when my parents wern't home). I use a Lyman (egg shaped) ladle that's far older than me and I understand the new Lymans are quite different. I bought an RCBS ladle probably 30 years ago and though it works just fine I don't care for it and don't use it. If you go with a ladle and there's no reason not to, I recomend you get a furnace without bottom pour capability as the lever and rod is constantly in the way. I find that it is a little frustrating to dip from a 10 pound furnace and recomend a 20 pound one (see the Lee Magnum).

Last edited:
Casting round ball may not matter how you do it. For compation bullets I’ve tried every way of bottom pore and can’t get the quality needed, only ladle will make the grade. I’m as lazy as any and if I could hold 1 grain in a 525 grain bullet you can bet I’d bottom pore!

Starting in the 1960s I cast with a ladle and much later with a bottom pour. I really couldn't tell any difference in accuracy or quality between the two methods.

Melt temperature, alloy cleanliness, casting speed, and technique are vastly more important than bottom pour or ladle casting particularly with round balls. Casting hollow-base minie' balls of consistent quality depends on all of the above plus attention to base plug temperature.

Melt temperature, alloy cleanliness, casting speed, and technique are vastly more important than bottom pour or ladle casting particularly with round balls. Casting hollow-base minie' balls of consistent quality depends on all of the above plus attention to base plug temperature.
I agree I’ve cast thousands of round ball using a bottom pour furnace. Minee bullets might need a ladle. I cast a few and had a ton of culls. Don’t bother with them any more.

I never had a bottom pour pot. And cast over the kitchen stove. Or over a fire in my brazier if it’s none to hot or cold outside.
Pouring a bit of lead over the mold keeps it warm for casting good ball.
One grain difference? I’ve never weighed a ball I’ve cast, so I don’t know.

I used a Lyman bottom pour happily for quite a few years. But, sadly, it rusted away in storage. Replaced it with a Lee bottom pour. Bad news. Now I dip from it and ladle pour. Have also ladle poured right from my big pot I use to melt down scrap lead into ingots. Do yer own thang.

I cast bullets for unmentionables, no round balls any longer. I use a bottom pour lee. Only reason I use the bottom pour is that it is faster than the ladle. I have two old round ball moulds, both .36 cal that haven't been used it twenty years.

Like any liquid with surface tension, molten lead wants to be round. If the mold is up to temperature, just about any technique works. For minies, a ladle is necessary, for me at least.

Latest posts

Back