• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Casting Setups

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mould with a separate pin can be a peta. Trick is to get and keep that pin heated. some tind to work better than others for whatever reason. The ones with pin attached to the mould are way easier because being attached, they heat and keep hot easier.
That is for sure....
It took a few variants of casting technique until I hit on a routine that kept everything nice and hot. It can be done, but yes, it takes some experience with a 2 piece to get good results. A hot plate to get and keep a mold hot is a nice addition to the casting table. The hot plate is also a great tool to get the next mold pre-heated as well if you are going to cast more than one style in a session.

My mould got here and I scrounged up some bees wax, cleaned and smoked the mould and casted 34 usable 60 cal balls. The lee is a nice very un assuming mould. Casted balls at 800 deg. and when it got too hot dropped the temp to 700 and it kept on doing well. It is a nice mould. Seemingly better than the low price of it. I miked one on the balls when it cooled and it miked at exactly .60. I didn't weigh it, maybe later. Very easy to cast with this mould.

Back