• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Casting round balls, thermometer needed?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because the carcinogens from the wood stove protects one from lead poisoning, but it only works for ML projects.
After shooting ML the smoke that’s inhaled sets up a chemical reaction in the blood stream that protects us when doing ml related things.
Just another benefit of the magic of the muzzles....
LOl, - good one...

Because the carcinogens from the wood stove protects one from lead poisoning, but it only works for ML projects.
After shooting ML the smoke that’s inhaled sets up a chemical reaction in the blood stream that protects us when doing ml related things.

I have a cigar and a beer when I run ball, found out that helps also.

In years of casting 5,000 hollow based conicals (minies), I found that the lead temperature has some variable and still casts well; the temperature of the MOLD is critical. Pinholes, voids, and uneven bases were more related to the MOLD temperature than the alloy (pure lead) temperature. Keep your mold (and the base plug) hot.

ADK Bigfoot

In years of casting 5,000 hollow based conicals (minies), I found that the lead temperature has some variable and still casts well; the temperature of the MOLD is critical. Pinholes, voids, and uneven bases were more related to the MOLD temperature than the alloy (pure lead) temperature. Keep your mold (and the base plug) hot.

ADK Bigfoot
Very true regarding mold temp. I dip my Lee molds in the lead pot for 20 seconds to warm them. Lyman and RCBS iron molds I warm up with a torch. Saves quite a few minutes as compared to heating up the mold by making bad bullets.

Hot plate. When I fire up the pot, I fire up the hot plate and put the molds on to heat.
When taking a break or reloading the pot, put the mold on the hot plate and keep it ready to cast.
Most times I get zero first cast rejects. It works.

I also put the mold on top of the bottom pour pot to warm up. It also helps a bunch to smoke the mold. That provides insulation that slows the alloy's cooling. I use gang molds and the large Lee bottom pour pot for common size balls. I never use a dipper. As I said before I am very results oriented. I only cast a few times a year for my supply of all balls I shoot. I shoot quite a bit.

Latest posts

Back