• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

casting question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Casting is safe but the junk you skim is bad so do not breath the dust.
A DROP OF WATER ON TOP DOES NOTHING BUT FLASH INTO STEAM. Just NEVER get water below the surface.

I cast with the breeze at my back, rarely get any fumes back at me.

i cast with the wind at my back, too. seems to work well. Also wear long sleeves, closed toed shoes, eye protection (i wear glasses with side shields - the mill buys them for us) and i use heavy leather gloves... you want something to keep sweat from dripping into the molten lead if it's hot outside ... a bandana or a baseball cap worn right ways 'round...

then take those cute shiny round thingies and go out and
Make Good Smoke!
:)

While contamination and fluxing certainly have their own odors (actually like the smell of my Beeswax flux), some of us have a hyper sense of smell. Although I'll admit covid knocked it back considerably.

Does it even matter though if I can smell a pot of melted lead? Doesn't change a thing at all does it, on your end or on mine. I'll still have a fan blowing behind me when I cast regardless what you think or say.
I have noticed an odor when casting also. But, I have also fluxed my pot so I cannot be certain what I'm smelling. I think good ventillation is a smart idea anyway.

do any of you folks wear a vapor respirator/black filter OV when casting?
Mask with dual P-100 filters.

What Can Lead Do to Your Health?​

Exposure to lead can harm nearly every system in the body. It can even kill. Lead accumulates in our bones, liver, and kidneys and can get into our blood. The effects of lead poisoning may continue after the source of exposure has been eliminated.

The nervous system is the main target of lead's effects on the bodies of both adults and children. Children are most vulnerable to lead pollution because their nervous systems are developing and can be harmed for life. Lead can:

• Harm cognitive functions;
  • Cause behavioral problems; and
  • Decrease IQ.
The acute effects of lead poisoning include:

• Seizures
  • Paralysis
  • Anemia
  • Abdominal pain
  • Constipation
  • Vomiting
  • Decreased appetite
  • Death.
Chronic, ongoing exposure to high levels of lead may also cause:

• Severe damage to the brain and kidneys
  • Reproductive system damage
  • Increased blood pressure
  • Anemia

Last edited:
do any of you folks wear a vapor respirator/black filter OV when casting? I am heating up lead now and it ust occured to me that the last time I wore that rig was about two months ago when I had covid... its probobly safe to wear but No way i want to get that sick again! also don't want lead poisoning....
No, No, and No. of all the things to worry about in this world wearing a dang respirator while casting bullets is the least of them. Fear is the mind killer.

You wanna know about lead poisoning? Bought a very expensive mastive puppy. She discovered that chewing the lead sheeting I kept alongside my shed was just the bees knees. She loved this stuff, it was the perfect texture for a growing puppy's teeth. I"m not kidding, $2000 worth of vet bills and six months of strict diet for that poor dog. She survived. That's her in my avatar.

Lead has to reach around 1140 degrees to off-gas. What you smell is the flux, and the casting pot. Don't eat, smoke, or drink when casting, keep your fingers out of your mouth, and wash when done casting. Contamination comes from lead oxide, which you get from handling your ingots. Freshly cast bullets have negligible oxide.

Cast for years with nothing but now I have a homemade hood and an exhaust fan in the window. Fan gets rid of flux smoke. I agree this lead poisoning has been carried to the extreme. Just use common sense.

Back