• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

CASTING HUNTING BULLETS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am new to casting and would like to buy only once. Would like advice on a good type hunting bullet for 45 and 50 cal. See a lot of interest in the Lee REAL type projectiles. THANKS

Actually, I acquired a 45 mini ball mold and it is surprised me with hunting accuracy. Depending on the twist of the rifle grooves, the common round will do the job.

I am new to casting and would like to buy only once. Would like advice on a good type hunting bullet for 45 and 50 cal. See a lot of interest in the Lee REAL type projectiles. THANKS

Your projectile(s) will be determined by the rifling twist rate and depth of the grooves. A patched ball in either caliber can take deer beyond 100 yds, though you’d really have to know your gun as the breeze can really push a ball.

I chose a short barreled .50 cal (24”) as my first rifle, feeling that it gives me the most hunting opportunities as it’s only 7.5 lbs so I can carry it all weekend if necessary. I have a .490” ball mold and both the short and long REAL. They have long protruding driving bands to fill the grooves, though mine shows the top band at .517” whereas Lyman states my barrel has ~.520” grooves. This requires an overpowder wad. Should work well in a 1:48” twist like mine. I haven’t worked on loads much with it yet, just breaking it in and having fun.

A lot of people like the Great Plains bullets. I like the large meplat and have been contemplating a custom mold through Accurate Molds again making a REAL with the wide meplat, and with bands that will fill my grooves. I’m a fan of wide meplat bullets for hunting as they create larger than caliber holes but still penetrate like a solid. It’s what my pistol bullets sport.

Oh, and the REALs seem to be a love it or hate it projectile.

Are you familiar with paper patched bullets? The Lee .500 cal pistol bullet seems to do quite well in fast twist, shallow grooved barrels. @Idahoron has worked with about all of the lead projectiles in rifles and is well known as the dude who perfected the use of that Lee pistol bullet. You should read what you can from him before you make any sort of decision.

Did not think about twist, both rifles are TC Hawken 1/48 twist. Got a few young people trying to help out. I shoot the PA Conicals and they do really well. Thinking the way things are nowadays they might not be able to buy bullets in the future. thanks

Neither one has ever taken a deer with a BP rifle and already got their stands ready. Still have plenty of time to get ready before the season starts, if not they can shoot BP in rifle season.

Did not think about twist, both rifles are TC Hawken 1/48 twist. Got a few young people trying to help out. I shoot the PA Conicals and they do really well. Thinking the way things are nowadays they might not be able to buy bullets in the future. thanks

I would think the shorter 250 grn REAL might do well if the short PA conicals did well for you, same with a ball. The ball will likely be better within 50 yds, maybe out to 75. The ball will flatten and make a more grievous wound. The REAL, unless it deforms, won’t be as devastating as the design isn’t blunt enough and the velocity is lower until you get out to about 75 yds maybe, but I doubt the REAL is any better than the ball outside of deeper penetration, but a ball will go clean through both sides on a broadside hit out to 125 yds easily.

The next question is, "What is the expected distance that you will be shooting at game?" If it's 70 yards or less, then a tightly patched round ball would be the hunting projectile of choice. The powder charge is the one with good accuracy at the hunting distance. If you are absolutely set on a conical, then the shortest one that fills the grooves is the one to get.

Round balls are 1/10th the frustration in developing an accurate load for a rifle than conicals are. Unless you’re really lucky, do precise measuring of your bore and be confident of what twist your rifle is then round balls are the way to go. Then you have to luckily pick the right conical bullet type and weight. It’s much easier to try different thicknesses of patch material with a roundball than get the wrong conical mold. Round balls kill just as effectively as conicals.

I am new to casting and would like to buy only once.
Round ball.
No problem's.
Your experiment will be with .440 or .445,, and .490 or .495 as per your listing of two calibers.
There is no need to improve either choice for "hunting".
Accuracy of your rifle is what insures a clean kill while hunting,, not the projectile,,
Find the time to practice, find your load and practice accuracy

Back