• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

casting balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohio ramrod

75 Cal.
Reaction score
After having a friend ruin his mold for casting round balls by hitting the cut off lever and the side of the mold equally with a hammer, I decided there had to be a better way. I made some extensions for the cut off plate to act like a lever so I don't need to ever hit the mold or cutoff lever. I have poured over 10,000 balls with one mold and it is still as accurate as when new.
How do I get rid of a double post?

I have always used a leather mallet hammer, like leather workers use. Every few years I re-sand the striking surface, but that is all.

ADK Bigfoot

Another "off the wall" toy I use when casting , is a common old time wooden handled ice pick. Sometimes , when lack of attention , causes a too much lead to over run on top of the cutoff plate , a handy ice pick will easily slide under the hardened excess lead , and lift it right off , w/o any fuss. The ice pick doesn't damage the mold in any way. Sometimes also , the pick can be used to flick a stuck ball out of the mold , so mold release can be applied . Also , an old time ice cube tong makes sorting hot balls , good and bad , and remelt sprues back to the pot before the sprue cools off. I try to make casting as efficient as I can , w/ simple tools.............oldwood

pretty sure that my lee two cavity .490 mould is toast. when i close it and hold it up to the light I see light shining through. its certainly casting out of round with a visible seam. new one is ordered and will be more gentle with this one..

Back