• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cast Off Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonboyb

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Ive been drooling over a beautiful rifle for a while now and scared to take the shipping plunge due to way more cast off than any rifle i own. Easily perceptible even from small photos. Its a colonial and i understand that the cheek piece plays a part too.....but this one is 1/2" of cast off.....more than double any of my rifles. Am i worrying about nothing here????

Hmm.....i didn't check my double but high cast off would make sense on a double to align on center sight rail between barrels.

You might be able to make it work. Your face will have to mount the stock in a more upright manner than you are maybe used to though. That's actually a good thing, because we have better balance and see better when our heads are upright and we are looking out the middle of the eye socket, rather than canted and looking out an edge of your eye.

It sort of depends on the drop at the comb at the place you most commonly mount the gun, and the shape / contour of the comb rollover. With rifles, most people can adjust things within their hold because rifles are much more deliberately aimed, rather than shotguns' being quickly mounted, pointed, and shot. There. stock fit is MUCH more critical.

Latest posts

Back