• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

cast iron bullets?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some years ago myth busters tired shooting underwater to recreate the movies like saveing private Ryan. Even up to a .50 they lost power easy in short distance, the best was a .58

Cynthialee,

I am a forensic scientist who specializes in firearms. I am also a generalist with extensive instrumental analysis experience and training in multiple forensic disciplines. I have 30 years experience and have qualified as an expert in the courts hundreds of times and worked thousand of cases.

Since the actual scientific paper was not offered we are all just specualting. If I could read the source I could say more.

All I am saying is the conclusion reached is implausable for the reasons I gave. Some aspects of the account are probably incorrect. Stories get changed over time, details are lost.

"Do lead balls (or bullets) deform when shot in to water?"

Absolutely. I fire into a water tank every week. That is how we retreive test fired bullets. Modern handgun bullets need to be full metal jacket to avoid mushrooming. Soft point rifle bullets expand violently. Pure lead round balls at rifle velocities can expand out like a pancake. Our tank is 8' long, nothing has ever hit the back wall.

I thank all of you for your answers. I can now read the book with trust in its statement.

Btw-isn't casting iron relatively simple, if you have the heat?

Claude-my apologies for re-posting. I put the question in the pre-flintlock forum as I am a pedant and thought any question dealing with the Middle Age firearms would go there. I didn't know it had been put here.

Folks:
The "Search" feature on the forum is a great tool to find old posts that were made about some subject. We've got posts going back over 18 years and because muzzleloading doesn't change much, many of those old posts are as good today as they were when they were first posted.

That said, if you are reading some of these old threads and you want to comment on something that was said, please remember. The person who made the post might have left the forum. Even if they didn't leave, the chances of them remembering something they posted 15 years ago is very unlikely.

Folks:
The "Search" feature on the forum is a great tool to find old posts that were made about some subject. We've got posts going back over 18 years and because muzzleloading doesn't change much, many of those old posts are as good today as they were when they were first posted.

That said, if you are reading some of these old threads and you want to comment on something that was said, please remember. The person who made the post might have left the forum. Even if they didn't leave, the chances of them remembering something they posted 15 years ago is very unlikely.
Dear Zonie,
I believe that you may have mistyped that last sentence; perhaps you meant to say 15 minutes ago.😁

OK, so iron doesn't deform and penetrates better.
Golly is the sectional density with my 1816 good enough for reliably ethical harvesting?

😆

...Another zombie thread. 😲

Last night I finished a novel with a New Orleans madame and a Texas Ranger keeping count and arguing on how many zombies they had each put down by the river. It was a fun read much like this thread.
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back