• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cased Remington New Model Navy.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Certus

32 Cal
Reaction score
Although cased Remington revolvers are not normally seen as often as Colts, I assembled a case for my Remington New Model Navy with some reproduction accoutrements and an original cap tin just to keep me occupied during the Corona lockdown.

AdobePhotoshopExpress_20335ea3187841c69acb2bb83c8a6563.jpg

Brian

Mighty fine looking case there Brian :thumb:. How about a little description on how you made it. It looks very well thought out.

Mighty fine looking case there Brian :thumb:. How about a little description on how you made it. It looks very well thought out.

Hi,
Nothing special about the case which was never meant to be historically accurate. The case itself used to contain a relatively cheap cutlery set with the box being surplus to requirements once the contents had been removed. It was only necessary to remove the existing partitions and replace them with more appropriate ones formed from wood offcuts and covered with felt from a craft shop.
The layout is based on Colt examples and the accoutrements were also different to those contained in the few cased Remington sets I've seen in photographs.

I also made this little cased set for my 1849 Colt Pocket from a child paints box again using readily available materials. I took a lot more care over the Remington case due to having nothing much else to keep me occupied during the Corona virus lockdown which is now thankfully being slowly lifted here in the UK.
Outdoor ranges are now open once again and I've been able to attend a couple of sessions at the range enabling my guns to come out of hibernation for the present at least.
It's just somewhere to keep them which is better than in a modern day gun slip or cover.
Q9lVGwT.jpg

Brian

Last edited:
Brian, you have missed your calling! And to think you made these from junk! My wife always says I'm making something from nothing, but not true! I 'recycle' a lot of stuff and make leather holsters, wallets and bags from scrap. Once made a nice but gray colored priming horn from a small cowhorn that was outside on a barrel by a junk shop, eaten up with scale. Wife nearly swooned when I gave the guy a quarter dollar for it. Just got through making a Native American blanket gun from a piece of 12ga shotgun barrel, 14" long. Carved a stock from Ash wood (scrap) and used an old Tower pistol flintlock I made into a percussion lock, preserving the cock by replacing the flint with a piece of steel bar shaped to fire musket caps and an old brass trigger guard off a rifle. It shoots 1oz bird shot and 70gr 2F, a light 12ga. load. Well, Brian I am glad to make the acquaintance of another 'Craftsman du Scrap' and glad the Govt. over there is letting you own and hopefully shoot your hoglegs. Good recycling and good shooting, cheers, George.

Treestalker - talking about Native American blankets, we were at a flea market at Stittsville ON a few years back when I chanced upon a really old Hudson Bay blanket, Queen-sized from the points, that that been edged on the other three sides with wampum beads, probably originating from our local Iroquis reservation. It was in very fine condition and I would have bought it except that there was a hole right smack-bang in the centre, about 12 inches across, where 'somebody' had cut out a circle to make a cap liner...at an angle across the stripes. 'Only $300...' said the vendor, 'you could put a patch in there, right?'

Now that is some fancy repurposing. I put a Perderoli howdah into a wood box origionally intended for a height gauge. No partitions or liner for mine. Nice post. It makes me think.

Although cased Remington revolvers are not normally seen as often as Colts, I assembled a case for my Remington New Model Navy with some reproduction accoutrements and an original cap tin just to keep me occupied during the Corona lockdown.

View attachment 36102

Brian
Do you need any license or permit to own black powder handguns or rifles?

Do you need any license or permit to own black powder handguns or rifles?

Hi,
We can acquire original muzzle loading firearms without license in the UK provided they are used only for "curiosity or ornament". Should you own an original for actual use, it must be added to a Firearms Certificate ( FAC) issued by the local police authority. The process for obtaining an FAC is complex and involves background checks, demonstrating a need and satisfying the specified storage and security requirements via a police inspection every five years. Reproduction muzzle loading firearms are subject to the same restrictions as all other modern firearms and can only be obtained when a FAC has been granted.
Brian

How much is an FAC? Do you need one for each gun? Reading above I would say yes.

When applying for a Firearms Certificate in the UK you must specify the type and calibre of each firearm wanted together with a justification for each listed firearm. The justification is normally full membership of an approved shooting club suitable for the requested firearms. Approved clubs only grant full membership when an applicant has demonstrated regular probationary attendance and completed the requited training which usually takes between 3 and 6 months. If you own or have access to land and wish to use the firearm for hunting / vermin control etc, this is recognised as good reason and a certificate should be granted provided the land is approved by the police authority for the safe use of the requested firearm. The more firearms requested is also limited by the security /safe storage arrangements in place with quite sophisticated requirements needed for holdings of more than 4-5 guns.
Should you wish to replace one of the guns possessed with another of the same calibre, this can be done without cost, but does require some form filling and the replacement of the FAC with a new one which reflects the updated content. If the number of firearms requested is to be increased, you must apply for a "Variation" to the FAC which almost entails all the checks and measures associated with the initial grant, including a visit from the local Firearms Enquiry Officer. In addition to the above, we now have to provide a letter from our GP (Doctor) affirming that there are no medical reasons to refuse the application. This has to be provided at your own cost at a fee determined by your practitioner and can vary from £30 -£100.
The Grant and renewal of an FAC can take weeks or sometimes many months depending on the efficiency of the local police authority. In the event that you might be in possession of the firearms listed on your FAC after the expiry date for any reason, you must lodge your guns with a Registered Firearms Dealer until the renewal process has been completed.
There are severe penalties for any contravention of these laws including seizure of the firearms and even imprisonment for the worst cases.

Below are the current fees associated with the licencing of firearms and shotguns in the UK.

• Grant of Firearms certificate - £88
  • Grant of Shot gun certificate - £79.50
  • Renewal of Firearms certificate - £62 (every five years)
  • Renewal of Shot gun certificate - £49
  • Replacement of a certificate lost or destroyed - £4
  • Firearm and shotgun co-terminous grants - £90
  • Firearm and shotgun co-terminous renewal - £65
  • Variation - £20
Brian

Wow, thank you so much for taking the time and the details!

I forgot to add that we must also keep an endorsed record of the use of each firearm listed on the FAC to be produced at time of renewal as evidence of regular use. If the recorded use is less than around three times each year, the firearm could be removed from the list of authorised firearms on the certificate.
To summarise, we must have among the strictest firearm regulations in the world without a commensurate decrease in the number of firearms offences which are invariably committed with illegally possessed firearms.

Brian

Latest posts

Back