• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cart before the horse!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought an "early" Uberti Hawken .54cal last Tuesday and it will probably take a few weeks to get to it's new home. Everything that I have read claims they are not actually .54 but .53 . I Have a .535 Lyman mold for my other .54 but that would be to big if it is .53 .
I started searching for a .525 Lyman mold, they seem to be pretty rare. I did find a .526 Lyman mold at Classic Firearms and parts Friday on their website for $19.95, I felt like it was a fair price so took a chance on it. The mold arrived today, very quick shipping I must say. I had to give it a try tonight and pour a few dozen balls to see if it was a true .526 . Of the 33 I poured all but 3 measured .526 , the other 3 measured .525 . So I am pleased with the second hand mold. How I can't wait to fire those balls to see how the rifle shoots.

Attachments

• 20220815_205431.jpg
    20220815_205431.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
On recommendation I bought a .535 for my .54 GPR flint. After much anguish trying different patch thicknesses I concluded that using a hammer was out of the question when loading. I bought a .530 and have had no problems. Sounds like you got what you need at a good price.

That's a fraction of what a new Lyman mold sells for so you got a good deal. I would have suggested you wait and check the bore size when the rifle arrives. But that great deal on a good Lyman mold was the way to go.

Before you buy a mold try Track of tge wolf for their pre cast ball. They are expensive but you can get several ‘.54s’
Try their multi thickness patch at the same time
Bob shoots a .526 with a thick patch, Bill a .530 with thin, Ott gets best with .500 and very thick patch.
I don’t THINK any ml has a ‘best’ but instead dozens of best.
Then you can get a mold.

I bought an "early" Uberti Hawken .54cal last Tuesday and it will probably take a few weeks to get to it's new home. Everything that I have read claims they are not actually .54 but .53 . I Have a .535 Lyman mold for my other .54 but that would be to big if it is .53 .
I started searching for a .525 Lyman mold, they seem to be pretty rare. I did find a .526 Lyman mold at Classic Firearms and parts Friday on their website for $19.95, I felt like it was a fair price so took a chance on it. The mold arrived today, very quick shipping I must say. I had to give it a try tonight and pour a few dozen balls to see if it was a true .526 . Of the 33 I poured all but 3 measured .526 , the other 3 measured .525 . So I am pleased with the second hand mold. How I can't wait to fire those balls to see how the rifle shoots.
You mentioned it was an early Hawkin? I have one of Uberti,s Hawkin and it shoot .530 and .535 with no problem. I don't know if it is an early one or not ?

Before you buy a mold try Track of tge wolf for their pre cast ball. They are expensive but you can get several ‘.54s’
Try their multi thickness patch at the same time
Bob shoots a .526 with a thick patch, Bill a .530 with thin, Ott gets best with .500 and very thick patch.
I don’t THINK any ml has a ‘best’ but instead dozens of best.
Then you can get a mold.
I wish I had that advice before buying. It would have save some pains. But I do have a mold .005 larger, ready for bore wear. I'll probably need in about 50yrs when am 122.

Mr. @Crockford , my friend, there have been entire threads on this forum dedicated to the .526" round ball, and the mould to cast them. People have been searching for these moulds, and one forum member has gone so far as to get Track of the Wolf to special-order .526" moulds from Lee Precision. However, Lee is still way behind schedule in production, and those of us who have been wanting one of these are still waiting.

You have brought home the proverbial unicorn.

With all of that said, the advertised bore size of any given barrel is "nominal." Many are more or less undersized. Examples are the CVA .58 caliber Big Bore Mountain Rifles (usually around .575"), the .54 caliber Uberti Hawken (actually closer to .53"), and various barrels from the now defunct Green River Rifle Works. I got a NOS Green River barrel in.54 caliber a couple of years ago and had Mr. Bergmann build a Hawken around it. I still haven't gotten around to obtaining an actual measure of it, but I have found that any ball larger than .520" requires a mallet to load.

So, if you and your rifle are shooting well with balls cast with your .526" Lyman mould, you're fixed! However, if you should ever decide to part with that mould, you could put it in the classifieds on this forum and it would probably sell before your lunch gets cold.

Nice find!

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

I figured it was a going to be an odd size. I started my search looking for a .525 with no luck. When I Googled .526 Lyman mold for sale, Classic Firearms and parts popped up. I had never ordered from them. I will give them a good review. I ordered at 10:00 and was shipped by 12:00 and I received it 3 days later. Was in like new condition. Was very pleased with the transaction. For what it is worth.

Well the Western Arms Santa Fe arrived today. The date code is 1979 and the s# is 2673. I believe the first year they were on the market. A .530 ball will not fit in the barrel. The .526 will roll into the barrel, but has little room to spare. So a .010 patch will probably be needed. My Log Cabin Shop Santa Fe has a 1986 date code and a .530 ball will roll right down the barrel. Both guns are made by Uberti . Have not had a chance to fire the Western Arms Santa Fe yet. But I think the .526 is going to work.... a trip to the range will tell.

This is a story after my own heart. I completely get it. Congratulations on your recent purchase(s)…post images of the gun…and targets. Just sayin….

Latest posts

Back