• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Carrying shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep my shot in a 150 year old English style shot flask. I usually don’t fill it to the brim, as it corrupts the measure, and either clogs or hangs open. It throws 1, or 1 1/4 ounce at a time. It does a dang good job too; as I’ve weighed what it suggests against a scale.

Attachments

• 4F91C56E-CC25-46D8-A221-BCD206C588DA.jpeg
    4F91C56E-CC25-46D8-A221-BCD206C588DA.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Usually premeasured shot cartridges/cups,
20190213_204223.jpg

In the past I have also carried a small bag of cane/bamboo tubes filled with premeasured shot,
20200403_135614.jpg

20200403_135640.jpg

I strongly dislike pouring and measuring loose shot when I should be hunting, but occasionally I will fill one of these ball bags with shot and carry it,
20210118_110702.jpg

20210118_110207.jpg

Usually the long skinny one. None of these are all that big, probably only holding enough birdshot for 2 or 3 reloads.

I want to use my fusil for duck shooting next year. Reckon I'd need 20 shots available for quick access.

I use a vintage shot flask with English head. Found this one several months ago for $50 and appears slightly used. Stitching and leather is sound, "D" ring is still serviceable. Before I found this one, most I had seen looked like they had been sat on. One thing you have to watch out for on these is, most of the time the spring is missing.

IMG_20220916_065733_543.jpg

I saw an old heavily worn shot flask on Ebay. I msg the seller telling him I wanted one to use. He sold me one he had made a new pouch for, cheap. I later had another made by a retiree who did excellent work. I have 2 flask, one with #8, one with #4 shot. Their in my shop, if I dig them out I'll post pics.

I carry in the pill pill bottles like Solanco. I was wondering how the flask or snake bags get filled with the English nozzle? I would need one that throws 7/8 or 1 oz.
regards,
Wayne

I use a shot flask too. But for bird hunting I would make up some paper cartridges with the powder, shot wad (power piston) and shot. Then I could quickly reload for the next shot. Of course if I ran out of homemade paper cartridges I would resort to manually loading like normal. I did have a few days like that.

The pill bottles and shot horns don't rattle like crazy?
My powder horn doesn’t rattle because I left the walls thick. I always refill it after an outing so I’m always going out with a full horn. With the wide bamboo measure, it’s quick and easy to pour from. But of course I ain’t never in a hurry either.

Repro shot pouch with a English brass charger at the end. I always overfilled for a hunt and it was always a bugger to carry. Yes, sometimes I'm a slow learner. 😉
Took me a while to learn to carry the amount of shot I think I might need. I do the same with round balls - for my .62 or .72, I only carry about 5 RB at a time. Dang lead gets heavy as I go up and down hills.

Back