• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Carrying shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shot Snake.
I like that! I have a small one that I use. I also sometimes take the adjustable measure with me.

Attachments

• Shot bag.jpg
    Shot bag.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Shotbag 2.jpg
    Shotbag 2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Shotbag 3.jpg
    Shotbag 3.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Shotbag 4.jpg
    Shotbag 4.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Shotbag 5.jpg
    Shotbag 5.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Shotbag 6.jpg
    Shotbag 6.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I make pre-measured paper "cartridges" with shot in one end and powder on the other. I carry them in an old zipper pouch along with my capper , some loose wads I cut from cardboard and a few other possibly needed tools. . The shot end of the paper is used as a shot cup, the rest goes between the over powder wad and the shot cup.
HOw do you create a divide between the shot and Powder? Are you putting the wads inside the paper cartridge? Do you use a dowel to wrap the cartridge and stick it with wax?

Used to use a leather shot snake with Irish head that adjusts to throw 1 to 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 oz of shot. But now use plastic tubes with two compartments, one for powder and one for shot. Still have to carry over powder and shot cards separately. I don't use cushion wads. Get better patterns without them. Have an 11 gauge double, two 12 gauge single barreled trade guns and a 60 caliber Tulle. So different cards and powder and shot charges for each.

HOw do you create a divide between the shot and Powder? Are you putting the wads inside the paper cartridge? Do you use a dowel to wrap the cartridge and stick it with wax?

These are a work in progress but here's the current method which is subject to change if I come up with a better idea on how to do it.

I use whatever paper I can find that's not too thick or too thin. Small paper bags, news print work well as do dried out lens wipe paper. A lot of paper advertising circulars that come in the mail work good too. I tried printer paper, which will work, but it's a bit thick and stiff for my liking.

I use a wooden down to wrap the paper around a couple of times, then glue it with a schoolkid's glue stick into a tube. I use the kind that's purple when wet, but dries clear. The dowel is about a 5/8" diameter to get the cartridge to fit in my 12ga double. Then I fold one end over to square it up, gluing that as well. Once the glue is dry, I pour a premeasured shot charge into the tube and lightly twist the tube to seal the shot charge in it and then tie it up with some string. At this point I usually end up sliding the dowel back into the tube to reform it back round and then pour my premeasured powder charge into the tube. I'll tap the tube to settle the powder down into the tube over the twist and then fold up the open end into a tail and do a second fold back over the tube to finish sealing the charge in the tube. I'll glue the folded told onto the tube to keep it from opening back up.

When loading my gun, I tear the tail loose and pour the powder charge down the barrel, then ram a over powder wad down onto it. I then tear or clip the tube as close as I can to the shot charge at the twist. I put the paper down the barrel for a cushion wad and then load the shot charge open end up into the barrel. Once it's all rammed onto the charge, I put my over shot wad on top to finish the process.

I make pre-measured paper "cartridges" with shot in one end and powder on the other. I carry them in an old zipper pouch along with my capper , some loose wads I cut from cardboard and a few other possibly needed tools. . The shot end of the paper is used as a shot cup, the rest goes between the over powder wad and the shot cup.
Those are very hc pc!!

I whittled the spout and plug from a young apple tree I planted that got killed by a deer. I made the pouch from its hide. I used to smoke that pipe, and when I quit, I repurposed it- there are some excellent period images and references to pipes being used as powder and shot measures. This one holds 70 grain by volume. Works well in my Bess and my fusil de chasse.
Jay
55C8496F-1093-43C3-AC70-D315B607AEE7.jpeg

Back