• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Carrying shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I carry either an antique medicine bottle (small) or a couple of lab vials with pre-measured shot charges. I carry my powder in the same type vials, so I don't have to use a measure and don't spill shot or powder.

ADK Bigfoot

Got two shot bags from Cutfinger. One made from buffalo hide, the other from elk. Keep no.4 shot in the buffalo for turkey and 7&1/2 in the elk for small game. Excellent workmanship from a good craftman

I use paper “dime” coin rollers. Close/fold one end with a drop of Elmer’s, add measured amount of shot and do the same to the other end. Drop them in my possibles bag and when I need one I bite the end off and dump it down the barrel. The empty paper roller can be folded and used as an over shot card too.

20220925_161538.jpg

How do people here carry shot when hunting? Shot snake, paper cartridge, something else?

Sometimes I use pre-measured thin paper tubes tubes and drop them down the bore and seat a thin wad on top.
Most of the time i carry shot in a flat Prince Albert tobacco can with a hinged lid.
The only thing I have found that works better than the PA can is a smaller can of the same style as the PA can (but only a third of the size) that SKS and AK-47 rifle cleaning kits used to come in. They can still be found a gun shows and online with all the little accessories packed inside in new condition for $10 to $15 each. Each can has a black finish, and inside you will find one of the cutest little old-timey-looking oil cans you ever saw. Over the years I have accumulated 7 or 8 of them. The first ones I bought 20 years ago I think I got for about $5 apiece.
I think all or most of them were made in the former East Germany in the 1950’s and 1960’s. Everything about these kits are the typical high-quality German design and workmanship. I would post pictures if I weren’t so digitally challenged.
Cannot recommend them highly enough for all kinds of uses.

Made My own slender snake with the English spout. Barely notice it as the day wears on.

I use paper “dime” coin rollers. Close/fold one end with a drop of Elmer’s, add measured amount of shot and do the same to the other end. Drop them in my possibles bag and when I need one I bite the end off and dump it down the barrel. The empty paper roller can be folded and used as an over shot card too.
now I rely like that idea!

where do you get the bamboo from?
It came from old scarecrow fall decorations, like you find at Walmart, Lowes, Hobby Lobby, etc. The bamboo poles were maybe three feet long or so. Enough for several projects. I’m always scavenging things like this to use for muzzleloader projects.

It came from old scarecrow fall decorations, like you find at Walmart, Lowes, Hobby Lobby, etc. The bamboo poles were maybe three feet long or so. Enough for several projects. I’m always scavenging things like this to use for muzzleloader projects.
ROGER THAT! I also am a hoarder / scavenger of shooting related items that I may use or die with, at 78+++. thanks' for the reply. and it is also HOLLOWEEN TIME!

I make pre-measured paper "cartridges" with shot in one end and powder on the other. I carry them in an old zipper pouch along with my capper , some loose wads I cut from cardboard and a few other possibly needed tools. . The shot end of the paper is used as a shot cup, the rest goes between the over powder wad and the shot cup.

Attachments

• shotty pack.jpg
    shotty pack.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back