• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Carrying pre lubed patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright, y’all- a bunch of you have said you use old cap tins, and I have to ask how on earth you keep them from seizing up?!?
I’ve used dozens over the years and without fail, they eventually just stick shut and I end up destroying them with channel locks opening the blasted things. Regardless of the brand. Bluing, browning, painting, polishing, oiling, greasing… nothing seems to work for long! 😫
Jay

Ebay 12 pcs 4oz metal round tins aluminum $16.20 screw top

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 0
At the range I keep mine in an empty prescription bottle. When hunting I have one on a ball in either a speed loader or loading block depending on what caliber I'm using.

At the range I keep mine in an empty prescription bottle. When hunting I have one on a ball in either a speed loader or loading block depending on what caliber I'm using.
When I was hunting I kept three speed loader in my pocket with caps. I never needed the second shot but I never shot a deer over 50yards away most were a lot closer. The three speed loaders in my pocket were insurance.

This is what I and others use on trail (wood) walks. Plastic chew cans are air and water tight. Soaked with water soluble oil and partially dried so they are good and damp. Will stay that way for a couple of months with zero mold. Put them in circular pattern making it easy to extract one at a time.
Doc,

Attachments

• IMG_3879.jpeg
    IMG_3879.jpeg
    258.2 KB · Views: 0
I use an empty # 11 percussion cap tin for my lubed patches.
I tried that once.. a long time ago. After a few patches are retrieved from that tin, the fingers get oily and slippery making it hard to open the tin again. I use the flip top altoid tins now.

Last edited:
When I was hunting I kept three speed loader in my pocket with caps. I never needed the second shot but I never shot a deer over 50yards away most were a lot closer. The three speed loaders in my pocket were insurance.
Speed loader are nice but the name is pretty misleading! They are obviously faster but by no means "speedy". But they are handy and you don't need to fumble around looking for powder, patch and ball as they're all held in a handy container.

I like to do it like they did when my particular reproduction rifle was not. No, wait. I mean when my flintlock Hawken was the real deal. Loading block for me. But I still gotta dig in my bag or pocket for the felt lubed wad I use between powder and prb. I've tried plastic loaders that contain the entire load, but I felt like I was cheating. I used to be even weirder; would not take anything in the woods made out of plastic. No plastic loaders or zip lock bags or pill bottles. I even fretted about the buttons on my shirt and the little plastic tips on boot laces. I mean when my moccasins touched the ground outside my truck, I was in the wilderness of the early 1800s. Grew out of that; now I just keep modern materials out of sight, which is still pretty weird, especially when hunting alone. Concerning quick reloading, I have never ever needed to reload fast. Have you? I take the time to swab, dry, tend to flint and flash hole and check frizzen and pan. I enjoy tending to gun and load. Another thing I quit doing is loading after I kill a deer when I know it is down and dead, 'cause I'm just going to have to unload it when I get back to the truck, which would have been an awfully stupid thing in a wilderness full of dangerous animals and hostiles. Besides, I always have my out of sight EDC.
What are you using for lube in that situation
I'm sorry sir. I just now saw your question to me. I use whatever lube is on the patches as sold. Never was one to fret about lube, although I reckon I should. I your stuff. Again did not mean to ignore you.

Oh, I forgot. When I was weird, I mean more weird than now, I had a fellow with a machine shop drill out the length of short sections of a .50 dowel rod for loading tubes. Plugged each end with corks. That way, I figured, I had an all natural quick loader that just may have been used back in the day. Probably not, but at least they were not plastic. I've even used glass vials with the correct diameter, cork plugs. As you might have guessed, that ain't a real good idea.

I use an old plastic 35mm film container with pre-lubed mink oil patches for my .50s. I used to have dozens laying around when I was a photog. but they’ve disappeared over the years. They work great if you can still find them in our digital world. Just realized I have bunch of speed loaders that would work too. Duh!!

I use loading blocks at the range when we have s monthly shoot. It keeps
things simple and you easilfy know how many shots you have made. For timed events they are also handy. Necessary no, convenient yes.

We use Number 13 T/C Bore cleaner to lube patches, it cleans after every shot.

My patch tin is a brass snuff box. It keeps them moist and ready.
It has a clip to keep it closed white bouncing around in the bag.
For it at a rondy in the 90s for 2 bucks.
I messed up this tread.
The brass snuff box is only for the dampened patches.
The wet patches are carried in a plastic contact lens can.
Then rung out and put in the brass one for shooting.

I like to do it like they did when my particular reproduction rifle was not. No, wait. I mean when my flintlock Hawken was the real deal. Loading block for me. But I still gotta dig in my bag or pocket for the felt lubed wad I use between powder and prb. I've tried plastic loaders that contain the entire load, but I felt like I was cheating. I used to be even weirder; would not take anything in the woods made out of plastic. No plastic loaders or zip lock bags or pill bottles. I even fretted about the buttons on my shirt and the little plastic tips on boot laces. I mean when my moccasins touched the ground outside my truck, I was in the wilderness of the early 1800s. Grew out of that; now I just keep modern materials out of sight, which is still pretty weird, especially when hunting alone. Concerning quick reloading, I have never ever needed to reload fast. Have you? I take the time to swab, dry, tend to flint and flash hole and check frizzen and pan. I enjoy tending to gun and load. Another thing I quit doing is loading after I kill a deer when I know it is down and dead, 'cause I'm just going to have to unload it when I get back to the truck, which would have been an awfully stupid thing in a wilderness full of dangerous animals and hostiles. Besides, I always have my out of sight EDC.

I'm sorry sir. I just now saw your question to me. I use whatever lube is on the patches as sold. Never was one to fret about lube, although I reckon I should. I your stuff. Again did not mean to ignore you.

"I used to be even weirder; would not take anything in the woods made out of plastic. No plastic loaders or zip lock bags or pill bottles. I even fretted about the buttons on my shirt and the little plastic tips on boot laces. I mean when my moccasins touched the ground outside my truck, I was in the wilderness of the early 1800s. Grew out of that; now I just keep modern materials out of sight, which is still pretty weird, especially when hunting alone."

Good Man, you're appreciating and contributing to the ambience of the experience, I do the same.
I'm wearing my old Dyers moccasins while I'm replying, keeps them supple and ready for the next primitive sojourn; I really like the old gear and way back ways; no troubled conscience or apologies will happen.

I keep a store of pre-lubed cut patches in a small sealable flat round tin as back up, but for immediate use a stack of lubed patches pierced dead centre on a Vent pick; hung short on the shoulder strap of my hunting bag so their easy to find and use one at a time.
Kinda like a primitive dispenser for the want of a better term.

When the OP is going on a woods walk that has 28 shots how does a loading block that holds six shots actually help all that much? What are you doing, reloading the loading block every six shots?

Back