• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Carrying pre lubed patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice set up Snake. I'm just using a turkey vest. The pockets are handy and it has a game pouch in the back for the squirrels.
Thanks, I am not HC etc., I just like the look, and I think people should use what ever works for them. Since I only hunted deer, my set up gave me what i needed for that. Of course what you don't see is the small (not HC!) pack i carried that had a thermos, munchies, small survival blankets, first aid, etc because you never know when Murphy comes along for the ride!

We use Number 13 T/C Bore cleaner to lube patches, it cleans after every shot.

My patch tin is a brass snuff box. It keeps them moist and ready.
It has a clip to keep it closed white bouncing around in the bag.
For it at a rondy in the 90s for 2 bucks.

Downside is the next spring I have to clean the green out off the brass.
Thats what Brasso is for.

I've used diabetic test strip containers for carrying premeasured powder charges, patches, ball shot or wads. They are fairly airtight and use up about two per month I have accumulated quite a few over the years. They also can be marked with a sharpy. Not HC but convient.

I'm not new to muzzleloading but I still haven't got a practical way to carry my shooting patches in the field.

I use Peanut oil, not keen on using bees wax or wonderlube or anything that is going to want to hang up in the bore some. And mink isn't available here.

Because Peanut oil is quite wet and oily, I'm not going to just sit it in my bag. What I have done is keep it in a tin, but when hunting I'm not finding it practical to have to open the tin to grab a patch then closing it every time I need to reload. I feel like it adds probably 20% on to my loading time.

I knows there has to be a better way, so what do others do?
I use .10" precut patches for my .50 cal. I've soaked them in a 50/50 mix of beeswax & buffalo suet. I carry them in an old cap tin. Works really well. All I have to do is peel one off. And my .50 flintlock Tennessee Mountain Rifle is dead accurate using 90 grains of FFg and these patches. The little cap tin takes up almost no space and I carry it on a little pocket I built into my possibles bag.

I'm not new to muzzleloading but I still haven't got a practical way to carry my shooting patches in the field.

I use Peanut oil, not keen on using bees wax or wonderlube or anything that is going to want to hang up in the bore some. And mink isn't available here.

Because Peanut oil is quite wet and oily, I'm not going to just sit it in my bag. What I have done is keep it in a tin, but when hunting I'm not finding it practical to have to open the tin to grab a patch then closing it every time I need to reload. I feel like it adds probably 20% on to my loading time.

Found this to be an easy way to carry patches and easily pick out one at a time, The chew plastic keeps them moist for months.
Doc,

Attachments

• 2752F442-21EB-4C01-960C-9A0B9602F51B.jpeg
    2752F442-21EB-4C01-960C-9A0B9602F51B.jpeg
    73.9 KB · Views: 0
One of my methods of carrying patches and lube is a simple tin saved from flea collars. The olde Bayer ones.

A flip open tin and I put the balls in there too. Open the tin and get out a ball and a patch at the same time.

I use a mix of beeswax and cooking oil.
Melt the wax in a cat food can on the kitchen stove at low heat. About 1/3 full for starters. When it has melted completely add about the same amount or more of cooking oil. Stir it up a little to mix the contents for 3 or 4 seconds.
Turn off heat.
Dip patches one at a time into the mix with tweezers. No more than 1 second each. Knock off the wet drips against the inside of the can above the mix level.
Then lay the lubricated patches on a piece ( 12” X 12” or so ) piece of aluminum foil that has been wadded up and straightened out somewhat, leaving a heavily wrinkled surface. The wrinkles allow more excess lube to drip off the patches.
Do not overlap the patches while cooling.
You will have to experiment some to find which ratio of wax and oil works best for you.
I carry 5 patched balle in a loading block, with extra patches and
balls in an Altoids box in a pocket in the shooting bag.

It is not very period correct , but I use an pill container with a “Child-proof cap” for my Prelubed patches. Also, you mentioned mink oil not being available. Search “Patch lube” on Track off the Wolf shooting supplies. They always have it. Best wishes!!

I keep mine in an Altoids tin. Not historically correct at all, but it works.
I lube my patches with olive oil.

In my earlier post I mentioned my method of carrying lubed patches. That was for trail walks and target shooting. For hunting I carry this pocket kit that I made that has 2 powder tubes, and two pre-lubed patched balls with a short starter,

Attachments

• IMG_0433.JPG
    IMG_0433.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0434.JPG
    IMG_0434.JPG
    174.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0435.JPG
    IMG_0435.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 0

I use an empty shoe polish tin. Right size, good seal, easy to open.

I’m with Hanshi on this one. I do use a loading block and premeasured loads in some plastic vials I found somewhere, but it’s not so much for speed as it is to avoid fumbling. I’ve not found speedy reloading to be necessary, but then I’m a bow hunter too so it’s all about the first shot anyway.

Back