• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Carrying on empty

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old Sam was in the business of selling guns. And he did not have the benefits of a building full of lawyers helping to keep him safe from the hordes trying to sue him into the poorhouse due to his 'unsafe' products. There weren't any hordes. He could pretty much say whatever he wanted.

McDonald's had not yet invented hot coffee to go.

Just as an aside; my Colt 2nd Gen Dragoon, Uberti Walker and Uberti 1860 all have safety pins... interesting that your Uberti Colts lack them.

And the holsters themselves were a form of safety equipment. Putting aside the regulation military type rigs with their flaps, the percussion era style civilian holsters covered most of the revolver and prevented any chance of something snagging the hammer. Once safely holstered the pistol was completely protected. My old Walker holsters leave only the grip visible and there is enough clearance around the hammer that it doesn't touch when the gun is slid home.

Zonie, as I said, I wasn't advocating that we carry that way, just comparing the thinking then as opposed to now. You're right, Colt was in the business of selling as many guns as he could. That quote came from a R.L. Wilson book I got last week...."The Colt Heritage", the photos are fantastic, just as in all his books. Emery

I've carried my remington cap'n'ball hunting for years, and I've always simply put it in the notch between nipples. I use a holster with a open top and a thumb strap that holds the hammer down. There is no way to "accidentaly" have the holster putt back the hammer, cause it's a low top, and the strap keeps it safe from hanging on brush.

no problem.

no diffeerent than carrying a condition one glock in a properly designed holster ( I do that too)

:wink:

---set the hammer down between nipples---if carrying in a holster the cylinder won't turn-- :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

rubincam said:
---set the hammer down between nipples---if carrying in a holster the cylinder won't turn-- :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Yes, and the gun is always in the holster, never having to be removed from the holster to be fired or returned to the holster after loading, so there's never any opportunity for the hammer to be accidentally displaced. The holster will keep you safe. Yep. :yakyak: :barf:

-----I thought they were talking about safe carry of a loaded revolver----- :blah: :blah: :blah:

Mykeal,
Sounds(reads)like your fighting an uphill battle. :hmm: Everyone has their own point of view on wether to carry on an empty or not. You have yours and others have theirs. Time to move along to another topic we can argue over :) .
Should I file off my front site so I can draw out of the holster quicker?

Poor Private said:
Mykeal,
Sounds(reads)like your fighting an uphill battle. :hmm: Everyone has their own point of view on wether to carry on an empty or not. You have yours and others have theirs. Time to move along to another topic we can argue over :) .
Should I file off my front site so I can draw out of the holster quicker?

Poor Private,
I hear'ed you 'ought ta file it off so it don't hurt as bad when the bar shoves it up your rear! :rotf:

I do not ADVOCATE carrying any specific way safer is always better, but safety can be taken to extreems as well. It is always prudent to take reasonable steps to be as safe as is reasonably possible.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/...m_cat=N/A&cm_pla=N/A&cm_ite=netcon&hasJS=true

I purchased the above holster I have holstered my gun many times and been over the fit of my walker in this holster. Once in the holster, I can not intentionally cock the hammer let alone accidentally. There is a snug fit keeping the cylinder from rolling.

Of course a holster will not keep you safe, only care and knowledge of all the equipment you are using will. I could see how a situation could arise that would cause a slight lifting of the hammer that might then release the cylinder to turn, then you could then rub the cylinder on something causing it to rotate under the hammer.....you get the picture....to me....if your holster is sloppy enough for this to happen and you are planning for the what if's (I do not have a problem with this) should you not also have the next cylinder empty for the unintended full cocking of the hammer?

With the full understanding of my Uberti Walker and my holster, I have no issue carrying with all six loaded. It is a choice we all should put thought into before we just do. Dont just load it and holster it thinking all is well. Make sure you unstand all the equipment you are using.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rikeman
should you not also have the next cylinder empty for the unintended full cocking of the hammer?

There's the answer right there, extra safe carrying four cap rounds with a strap holster...but I guess extra safe doesn't mean it's safe, it's just safer.

If you would like I will be glad to copy the article for you, if you are interested send me your snail mail address.

whitebear said:
If you would like I will be glad to copy the article for you, if you are interested send me your snail mail address.

Thanks, I've managed to get a copy from the magazine, and I'm now a subscriber.

I appreciate the offer, however.

Back