• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Carrying my Pedersoli Double Shotgun in the field

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulF70

40 Cal
Reaction score
I've got a Pedersoli Classic in 12-gauge, a gorgeous side-by-side double with two triggers.

I've done a lot of reading on carrying percussion guns hammer-down vs. half-cocked vs. not capped.

Not capping "till I see game" which is what many recommend does NOT work for rabbit or bird hunting! You've got to be able to take a shot within a couple seconds.

The Pedersoli manual specifically states that carrying half-cocked is not safe and not recommended. Ok. What's the alternative??

I found a thread where a gent stated he conducted experiments in dropping guns (capped but not loaded!) with hammer-down on cap and half-cocked. The former NEVER went off and the latter did.

So for now I am carrying the gun capped but hammers down. I also hold it with a death grip.

Is there a better way?

Do not hold it with others in front of you. The maker will give advice based upon
lessening liability. In truth, people hunt with capped up, hammers down, pick up
feet --do not trip on vines and rocks. You have a second to get off your shot-
not multiple seconds. Animals around here are not dumb--they are into staying
alive and every second counts. Verify quickly that your target is clearly game and
fire. A rustle in the bushes is not game. Hold firmly but not too firm--you have to have
muscles limber and able to move fast.

I carry mine at half cock and capped. This allows me to make the shot when a bird is flushed. Safety is the job of the gun handler and in nearly fifty years of using hammer guns I’ve had no issues. I carry in a relaxed but alert manner. A death grip isn’t needed nor does it promote safety.

"...people hunt with capped up, hammers down."

Just what I was looking for.

I never, ever let the muzzle point at something I don't want to shoot.

(It's too bad this gun is so gorgeous and so fun to shoot, else I'd just take my modern Ruger O/U into the field. I can't get over how much fun these MZ's are, and how well they shoot with proper loads!)

I carry mine at half cock and capped. This allows me to make the shot when a bird is flushed. Safety is the job of the gun handler and in nearly fifty years of using hammer guns I’ve had no issues. I carry in a relaxed but alert manner. A death grip isn’t needed nor does it promote safety.

I suppose if one is confident of never dropping half-cocked has the advantage of less distance/force to get to shooting posture.

I think the conclusion is to do everything you can to point the muzzle safely at all times and watch your footing to avoid a fall/drop, and then either hammer position is safe.

What is more dangerous?

Carrying capped with the hammers resting on the cap where any blow to the hammer will set the gun off.

Carrying capped with the hammers at half cock where any blow must first shear off the half cock notch before the gun goes off.

Sorry guys, I carry mine on half cock as I think its safer.
That being said I was also taught that the muzzle NEVER pointed at anyone nor even swept across some one, if it did my gun was taken away and I spent the rest of the day helping the dogs flush game for others.
To this day muzzle safety is the LAW not a suggestion.

I am hyper-aware of the guns condition when hunting because I often have 1 of my teenage sons with me, or both of them as shooters and me observing. So there’s 2 people with ML shotguns together. At first I made a small, tapered wood block with two recesses. It fits over the nipples but under the hammer at half cock. It is attached to the gun by a thin lanyard. When ready to shoot, cock the hammers and flick off the block. It is also handy if you need to de-cock. Put the block back in place and de-cock without much chance of mishap. Now we have a steady, reliable pointing dog. When the dog points I put the caps on. Doesn’t work if intending to shoot flushed, running rabbits (which we don’t if a dog is involved). Hunting solo, particularly waiting for ducks, doves, crows I cap and half-cock. Alone I do that behind my pointing dog too. I’ve been present in two instances where the Hunter accidentally dropped the hammer while cocking from hammers down. The guns discharged thankfully in a safe direction. Neither was a ML and one did not have a half cock option. I’ve purposely dropped the hammer just prior to half clock in a cap with no load to determine what is best for me. Sometimes the cap would pop, sometimes not. I’ve done the same, slipping before full cock but after (cocking from) half cock. The hammers have always stopped, no discharge. First, if you do this inspect your seat and half cock and know what you’re looking for. Second, don’t do it if you don’t know how to fix it properly. Intentionally dropping the hammer to half cock can break or compromise it. Echoing what others said, find what works for you and stick to it. Muzzle awareness and safety is paramount regardless.

I use my Double 58 Kodiak as much as I can during the season. Caps on and hammers at 1/2 Cock- With No one in front of me. I feel it’s safe, As I’m always paying attention to the Point of the muzzle. I feel this is how the design was made- 1/2 cock is there for a reason, for either this reason or not. I sling my Firearm over my shoulder if walking with someone and will take caps off depending on how far together I’m walking.Or I’m in front and firearm is at the ready pointed forward with two hand hold-Generally safe firearm practice is required with this firearm, and all firearms. I see no difference in use of this double hammer than another. Be as safe as possible, or use another safer firearm.
Ps- I usually dont hunt with others, and get safer when around anyone. Caps off

Recently acquired a double barrel----PISTOL! And yes, it is a muzzle loader, 12 Bore. I didn't have to use my borescope to see what the interior is like. It's fairly heavy, at about 3 lb. Which is a good thing shooting a 12 bore loaded up fairly well.

The one thing I don't like about it - other than those 409 primers - is that it will NOT hold on half cock. Yes, it does stop at half cock, but it must be a very shallow indent, as any pressure on either hammer will allow it to go forward and contact the primer.

So, I am even more careful than ever that the barrels always point to a safe place, usually the ground 30+" below it. I believe it is going back to the manufacturer pretty darn quick.

I want one of the Howda Pedersoli Small Double pistolas. If I was in your shoes I’d certainly sent it back. Surprised it was sold like that.

A leather hammer stall is a good option, kinda like the wood block mentioned above. A thick piece of leather attached to the trigger guard. Falls off when the hammer is cocked. one for each side.

Need a Peep for that shotgun, when you shoot round balls

Attachments

• 0E535335-6B1E-4EBF-95D0-416F46D9BE94.jpeg
    0E535335-6B1E-4EBF-95D0-416F46D9BE94.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 45BA0C64-22ED-432A-AEFD-24CD706C60EF.png
    45BA0C64-22ED-432A-AEFD-24CD706C60EF.png
    235.4 KB · Views: 35
"...people hunt with capped up, hammers down."

Just what I was looking for.
Previously posted this on the topic of hammers down on a cap.

Pistol with cap on a nipple. Hammer down on the cap. One leather mallet. One quick rap with the mallet and BOOM. We have ignition........ got it first try.

faetusn.jpg

Any hammer down on a loaded percussion cylinder questions?

I've got a Pedersoli Classic in 12-gauge, a gorgeous side-by-side double with two triggers.

I've done a lot of reading on carrying percussion guns hammer-down vs. half-cocked vs. not capped.

Not capping "till I see game" which is what many recommend does NOT work for rabbit or bird hunting! You've got to be able to take a shot within a couple seconds.

The Pedersoli manual specifically states that carrying half-cocked is not safe and not recommended. Ok. What's the alternative??

I found a thread where a gent stated he conducted experiments in dropping guns (capped but not loaded!) with hammer-down on cap and half-cocked. The former NEVER went off and the latter did.

So for now I am carrying the gun capped but hammers down. I also hold it with a death grip.

Is there a better way?

I was thinking of a cap block device that would protect a cap if the hammer is dropped accidently, ...... but tied to the hammer so that when the hammer is drawn, the safety device is pulled off the cap. Be sweet if it were possible. I would buy one. I hunt with my Pedersoli 10 gauge and carry with the cap on at half cock. If I carry with the hammers on the caps, it looks like I might be in legal trouble should someone be hurt.

Let me expound

Moderators please note that this relates, keep reading.
I have owned and still own antique cartridge shotguns that were made before rebounding hammers, if you load these and let the hammers down, the firing pins are resting against the primers and a sharp blow will set them off, half cock is the only safe way to hunt with them other than carrying the gun open.
I think carrying hammer down on live caps on a muzzle loader is essentially the same thing.
Again in my humble opinion.

Back