• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Carrying my Pedersoli Double Shotgun in the field

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The gun I will most likely take for autumn game is an old Sauer hammer double cartridge gun. It is not built like a continental double, but was built to mimic a good British double with straight grip and tiny fore end. From old habit, I carry it hammer down. Muscle memory. Say it to yourself several times. I practice with this gun. Live fire and empty gun on the patio. Cocking the hammers as I mount the gun is now so automatic as to be mechanical.
BTW: 16 GA 2.5 inch

The Pedersoli manual specifically states that carrying half-cocked is not safe and not recommended. Ok. What's the alternative??

Like most firearm manuals their lawyers are heavily involved. Went online to Pedersoli's "muzzleloading guns owner's manual" and found the following for percussion doubles:

"With one hammer placed on half cock position and the other on a rest position (down), (NEVER PLACE BOTH HAMMERS AT HALF COCK POSITION AT THE SAME TIME), place the first cap; PLACE JUST ONE CAP AT A TIME, you can place the second one only after having fired the first barrel."

And for my double flintlock-

"When using the flintlock double barrel shotgun you must pay extra attention during shooting. Starting with the hypothesis that both barrels are loaded, ready to shoot, when firing the first barrel, the flame could also ignite the second barrel, setting the shot off. To avoid this risk, we recommend leaving the pan of the second lock unprimed, while firing the first barrel."

Following this advice makes skeet doubles somewhat problematic and pretty much defeats the purpose of a double gun.

For a flintlock bird gun, half cock is pretty much the only option as hammer down means an open frizzen and empty pan. I'm fine with carrying my flintlock at half cock. Same with half cock on a percussion gun.

Bottom line, utilize but never trust the safety on any gun. Don't be afraid to make the gun safe by uncapping/depriming in a dicey situation (bad footing, crossing fence, etc.) and control your muzzle. Pretty much the same as any bird gun. Otherwise, don't worry about it and enjoy the hunt.

I’d go uncapped unless I needed it this week, in which case I’d go capped and hammer down, unless I needed it right now, in which case I’d go half cocked, capped, and ready for trouble, in which case…… well, you get the pic…. Just be safe.

Last edited:
Just got to use some common sense really.
Lawyers won't tell you that though, they will just protect their client which is what we are reading from Pedersoli.
The revolver struck with a mallet is a mute point. It should be carried on an empty chamber any how.
If folk find fear overlording their every move they should NOT take up muzzleloading.

If a person is of a habit as to be throwing a firearm up in the air so as to cause it to spin in a crazy unpredictable fashion they need to stop doing that now!
Otherwise, carry on.

Like most firearm manuals their lawyers are heavily involved. Went online to Pedersoli's "muzzleloading guns owner's manual" and found the following for percussion doubles:

"With one hammer placed on half cock position and the other on a rest position (down), (NEVER PLACE BOTH HAMMERS AT HALF COCK POSITION AT THE SAME TIME), place the first cap; PLACE JUST ONE CAP AT A TIME, you can place the second one only after having fired the first barrel."

And for my double flintlock-

"When using the flintlock double barrel shotgun you must pay extra attention during shooting. Starting with the hypothesis that both barrels are loaded, ready to shoot, when firing the first barrel, the flame could also ignite the second barrel, setting the shot off. To avoid this risk, we recommend leaving the pan of the second lock unprimed, while firing the first barrel."

Following this advice makes skeet doubles somewhat problematic and pretty much defeats the purpose of a double gun.

For a flintlock bird gun, half cock is pretty much the only option as hammer down means an open frizzen and empty pan. I'm fine with carrying my flintlock at half cock. Same with half cock on a percussion gun.

Bottom line, utilize but never trust the safety on any gun. Don't be afraid to make the gun safe by uncapping/depriming in a dicey situation (bad footing, crossing fence, etc.) and control your muzzle. Pretty much the same as any bird gun. Otherwise, don't worry about it and enjoy the hunt.
I agree with you. allways keep the muzzle out in front of you and if you fall or trip and fires you will be behind it when and if it discharges. jmho.

October Country makes a cap cover which goes over their nipple so you can safely carry a capped ML. It is easy to get off and it weather proof with it's rubber O-ring.

Back