• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Carrying Heavy Revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walkabout

40 Cal
Reaction score
The only cap and ball pistol I have is the little NAA Super Companion. I've thought about going the opposite extreme and getting a Walker or Dragoon. Can they be carried comfortably in a belt hoster or are they too cumbersome? Are there other options like a pouch or scabbard of some kind? Thanks

The only cap and ball pistol I have is the little NAA Super Companion. I've thought about going the opposite extreme and getting a Walker or Dragoon. Can they be carried comfortably in a belt hoster or are they too cumbersome? Are there other options like a pouch or scabbard of some kind? Thanks
Walkers are about 5 pounds! Dragoons are heavy, too. What's wrong with a nice 1860 Army? :)

Kinda depends on the intended purpose. Wide variety of holsters available today - from leather to kydex, belt to saddle, open carry to concealed, shoulder to ? Historically correct to "wth is that?" Choice of handgun will dictate/limit choices.

The NAA could be carried in a quite varied field of choices. Dragoon - ?

I did carry my Uberti Dragoon IWB to and from work , one time, in an Uncle Mike's holster I modified

It wasn't something I'd walk around with

However, I have a snubbed "Avenging Angel" Walker that's still the size of a regular revolver that could be carried if someone really wanted to

I love the NAA revolvers, I have a pair of Pugs , a .22 LR and a Short. I carry them all regularly.

I got a right hand draw slim jim for my Walker and decided real fast it wasn't going to work carrying it on a belt. I got this saber belt from S&S, took off the saber hangers and use it with the shoulder strap, comfortable. The holster is worn on the left, cross draw. It's 1853 and I'm a retired Calvary officer who is going rangering so the 1851 officer's saber belt with a cap pouch is acceptable.

https://www.ssfirearms.com/proddetail.asp?prod=L52

It mostly depends on what youre used to or can get used to. I used to carry a 7 1/2" Ruger Super Blackhawk regularly, it didnt bother me in my 20s. I carried a 4" Smith 29 or 4 5/8" Ruger 44 or 45 SA daily for 20 or so years with no discomfort, they still my primary mountain carry and dog walking guns. The length being such that it wasnt in the way sitting in vehicles, chairs, on the ground, cutting firewood or working. This was with a 2 1/2" belt and a 2" belt. The weight of all those is quite tolerable for all day, day in day out carry. Much more does begin to be wearisome to me.

Id also suggest the 1860 as a good balance point for power and weight. The 5 1/2" versions should be a nice size. Id love to cut mine down to that size and put a Navy size steel grip frame on it.

I have a Walker and If you carry one on a belt, your pants will fall down. I carry with a cross chest holster.

If you're not planning on shooting 100 yards get the Dragoon. Bit less weight and enough more power.
An 1858 a good choice and simpler. Very easy cylinder change. Doesn't get cap jams but in a blue moon.

Last edited:
A Bianchi X-15 shoulder holster intended for an 8-3/8" S&W Model 29 works for carrying a Walker concealed. Not that I do, but I have tried it out.
Gus would be envious...

1665702280196.png

Back