• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Carrying Flintlock Pistols

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well here’s what I can find on my iPad right now. The drawing is some renditions of another one being made for me by Eric Ewing of Ewing Creek Pouches.

View attachment 80714View attachment 80715
I carry my flintlock pistols in a short rounded holster like carrer that has a high side to cover the frizzen and has a thong to retain said gun, much like the thongs on a western holster.

I had this one copied after the originals that were vastly popular throughout the Ottoman Empire during the period.
These were also made for single pistols, but the doubles seemed to be much more popular. There is also a belt loop on the back hidden by the leather lacing. The design holds the pistols firmly, yet easy to retrieve quickly if necessary.

The over the shoulder style didn't seem to catch on in Europe and North America (except for saddle military holsters). But the belt hook was very popular. Still a convenient way to carry a flint pistol. The only down side is the pistol is exposed to the elements. Probably not the best for longer trekking and hunting trips.

RickView attachment 80757View attachment 80758
that is a beautiful holster for a brace of flinters. never seen one of them b-fore. I rely like it. I'LL it gets some stares when you bring it out?

I had this one copied after the originals that were vastly popular throughout the Ottoman Empire during the period.
These were also made for single pistols, but the doubles seemed to be much more popular. There is also a belt loop on the back hidden by the leather lacing. The design holds the pistols firmly, yet easy to retrieve quickly if necessary.

The over the shoulder style didn't seem to catch on in Europe and North America (except for saddle military holsters). But the belt hook was very popular. Still a convenient way to carry a flint pistol. The only down side is the pistol is exposed to the elements. Probably not the best for longer trekking and hunting trips.

the pistols look to be original? caliber? have you shot them?

the pistols look to be original? caliber? have you shot them?
Hi Toot

Yes, pistols are originals. Locks have been tuned and new barrel liners from Bobby Hoyt. Both about .54 caliber. Have not test fired them yet.

The over the shoulder carry has the advantage (especially with two pistols) of spreading the weight across the whole upper torso. Similar to a sword baldric. The interior of the holster has a section of wood, covered in leather so the pistols are separated and don't hit each other during movement. So the lower 2/3rds or so is stiff. They were actually made around a mold, the proper name escapes me at the moment, but the leather workers on the Forum would know. The European style saddle holsters were made using this mold method to keep the holsters stiff to support the larger, military flint smoothbore pistols (which carried over to the percussion period for a while.)

For a slimmer, Kentucky style, single pistol, one could imagine a simple belt/sash carry might be just as convenient. Or the belt hook. And that may be why the lack of original leather specimens to copy from. (?) But for hunting, trekking, or any inclement weather conditions, a holster with a flap cover would be a big advantage.

Rick

rickystl, thank you so much for that detailed explanation of the holsters. again the pistols are beauty's!

can you post a picture of them out of the holsters? are they a matched set?

I carry my revolver with an over the shoulder strap. A waist belt tends to drag my pants down, with embarrassing results.😢

can you post a picture of them out of the holsters? are they a matched set?
Hi Toot

Here ya go....Not a matched pair. But both are now the same caliber. These are typical Ottoman style Kubur (horse) pistols. Likely made at one or two of the many gun making centers in the Balkans. Unless made as a pair, you never see any two exactly alike.

Rick
DSC00491 (Medium).JPG
DSC00497 (Medium).JPG
DSC00494 (Medium).JPG

rickystl, they are very close and a couple of beauties!! I sir would be proud to own them as are you!! thank you for responding to my request, toot. OS, what time period would they encompass?

These two pistols are likely from the first half of the 19th Century. In that area of the World, the flintlock continued in use through at least the third quarter.

Rick

Hey Bob McBride, where did you pick up that wire inlayed pistol? I recognize the work.

The first pic I posted with the shoulder holster contraption? I don't own it. I had the pic in a pistol holster file. I have a copy of that holster being made. It's a slick rig. The last is a Lowell Haarer I picked up used last year.

For what they are worth, here are some older illustrations, first of Edward Teach aka Blackbeard, and then one of John Paul Jones by Wilkinson. NO idea if any of the artists actually had evidence for the manner that the pistols are worn....,

BLACKBEARD A.JPG

BLACKBEARD C.JPG

BLACKBEARD B.JPG

BLACKBEARD D.JPG

JOHN PAUL JONES BY WILKINSON.JPG

NOTE that these guys were all on ships most of their combat history, so for a fellow on foot, on land..., or who might get on and off a horse a lot...., perhaps the above images are impractical ???

LD

Back