• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Carrying conicals afield

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always carried 3 or 4 speed loaders containing the Maxie balls I use. Powder charge pours out one end, then the Maxie will load on top of the charge.

I commonly with maxi-ball would fill the lube grooves than wrap the lubed maxiball in wax paper. To load, just tear off the bottom and squeeze out the lubed maxiball into the end of your rifle and ram 'er home.
Ohio Rusty ><>

How does everyone carry lubed conicals in the field? I carry RBs in a shot pouch and used minies in paper cartridges. What sort of container do you use in the shooting bag for conicals?

Butler creek speed loaders, like the traditions ones.

Powder, lubed wonder wad, conical

Tried lots of things over the years and have used these for last several years. Take some time n effort to make but worth it 2270C1BA-537F-4DE7-B348-D9997C5486AA.png17F5C84C-5F1F-451B-B69B-7F57C7BDAF06.pngFC3A3661-CA82-403D-A252-8CABBC299782.png689ADF22-23B7-4A91-BEE7-F3A3344938A8.png

One thing, if you are carrying extra minies, take care to protect the bases. A bent dented or damaged base will seriously degrade accuracy.
Another caution I would put forth is to regularly check the maxi ball position in the bore as I ringed a good barrel after the maxi ball/bullet in my barrel worked up bore over the course of a long hunting day carrying the gun under my arm with the muzzle pointed downward to keep the water out . That would never happen with a patcbed round ball but it sure can with a conical bullet.

I made up a double thickness bullet board to hold my lubed 54 cal Lee Improved Minies. Bullets fit wholly inside the board, protecting the bases and tips. A good thumb push on the tip side pushes the base out to start in the muzzle.

Latest posts

Back