• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Carrying a percussion pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Single shot, not revolver.

How does one carry a loaded percussion pistol safely?

Carrying it with the hammer down on a cap seems a recipe for disaster. On the other hand, if you carry it at half cock, the cap might vanish. So, would be the best way to do it?

And before someone asks, I'm not necessarily planning on it. Just curious on how it was done back when it was common.

Electric Miner said:
Carrying it with the hammer down on a cap seems a recipe for disaster. On the other hand, if you carry it at half cock, the cap might vanish.
Assuming you're not going to find yourself in an unexpected shoot out, don't put the cap on until you're ready to fire the gun. :wink:

With a single shot you can safely put a slight crimp in the cap to hold it in place.

A trick one can use to hold it on and give the firearm a touch more water protection is a small dab of shellac at the base of the cap where it is fully seated. You want to apply it so some is on the cap and some on the nipple so as it forms a proper seal. As I don't have shellac on hand I find a dab of one of my clear nail polishes does the trick. Now you are going to want to be sure that your cap and nipple fit is flawless. If you basically glue the cap in place and the thing isn't properly seated then the two smack ignition isn't going to work....

Electric Miner said:
possibility of getting into an unexpected shootout?
You have to consider that situation. Your going to have a somewhat heightened awareness right?
So in that case it's capped hammer down, fully knowing you have a ready pistol near at hand.

Trouble is we try to use our 21st century mind set when we think about 18th century issues,,
Different ball game.

While there are carry permits, we don't walk around everyday in hostile environments where other people are trying to kill us with a need to shoot back to save your life.
If that were the case what would you do?
I'm not going to handicap myself, or forget that I have a ready gun tucked in my belt.

One of the old techniques for carrying a loaded and capped pistol was to put a small piece of leather on the cap and gently lowering the hammer on that. The leather took some of the sensitivity off the cap if the hammer got jarred and usually fell away when the hammer was cocked. Just remember that no system is fool-proof and you definitely don't need a shot going off in your jumpers! :shocked2: :wink:

On my .50 caliber cap lock rifle, I have a 1/2" square of an old inner tube. I punched a hole in one corner, and ran a 6" piece of waxed linen cord through the it, and tied the other end to the trigger guard. I don't see why that wouldn't work on a pistol. I put the rubber square between the cap and the hammer.......Robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
necchi said:
Electric Miner said:
possibility of getting into an unexpected shootout?
You have to consider that situation. Your going to have a somewhat heightened awareness right?
So in that case it's capped hammer down, fully knowing you have a ready pistol near at hand.

Trouble is we try to use our 21st century mind set when we think about 18th century issues,,
Different ball game.

While there are carry permits, we don't walk around everyday in hostile environments where other people are trying to kill us with a need to shoot back to save your life.
If that were the case what would you do?
I'm not going to handicap myself, or forget that I have a ready gun tucked in my belt.

These were carried on the person and in their sash/belt back then; why worry about it going off? Seems perfectly fine to carry capped with the hammer down. Half cocked is going to weaken the spring soon than later.

Half cock, good holster, cap keeper. Safe to carry, handy and cap is secure.

Don

My pistol is flint and I carry it loaded at half cock with a "hammer stall" in a proper holster. The holster keeps the cock from moving and the hammer stall makes the frizzen as safe as they can be.

I carry my percussion guns capped and with a fired .32ACP or a .380 cartridge case over the capped nipple. I close the hammer on the cartridge case.
I carry my T/C Patriot in a holster designed for a large cap & ball revolver.

My hand crafted leather holster fits both my pistols such that the leather can fit down between the hammer and the cap on half cock. I carry one when stalking in a known hog area "a just in case." I will take the advise of Cynthia and start carrying some clear nail polish to stick that cap on.

Speaking of carrying a single shot pistol, spotted this guy down at courthouse square. Check his right hip...

MA3V2116-small_zpsea9b5377.jpg

Back