• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Carolina Gun build / canoe length

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_20230208_152714.jpg

Wasn't it back around the 2000's when Jackie Brown coined the term " canoe gun "? I remember reading about it, he had leftover short barrels so he started making them and they took off. Rob, what's the turn around on one of these once you get the order? Do lots of brush busting here and a short barrel sure would be nice.

Wasn't it back around the 2000's when Jackie Brown coined the term " canoe gun "? I remember reading about it, he had leftover short barrels so he started making them and they took off. Rob, what's the turn around on one of these once you get the order? Do lots of brush busting here and a short barrel sure would be nice.
....the short ones are great Bunny busters! and I'm usually not an advocate for short smooth bores. My build list is out to August I believe ....

Was thinking around a 28 to 30" barrel, what is it you don't like about the short barrel smoothbores?
I love hunting turkey 2nd only to deer . The longer the barrel on smoothbores the better patterns your going to get . I'm short so I prefer a 40" barrel as it just about perfect for me but its s compromise between mobility and patterns . The real short ones are damn handy but they are definitely a close range gun for shot patterns. So much fun for kicking up bunny in thick brush !

Gotcha, I have one with a 42" barrel and it's a challenge hunting rabbits and grouse in the brush. I enjoy watching your builds, thanks for posting.
So glad you like the builds and posts. I love these trade guns , have for decades and all of a sudden it seems folks are really digging them too ! Pretty neat ! :)

Was it Jackie that coined the whole " canoe gun " moniker ? I remember seeing it back in the 90s in an article but dont remember who it was . I've made a bunch of them ! We depleted all the inexpensive 20 ga. barrels from Numrich Arms ! Now there are only 16 and 24 ga. barrels left . They are fun and handy little guns AND ! 4 1/2 pds ! Love packing that thing aroundball day !

Was it Jackie that coined the whole " canoe gun " moniker ? I remember seeing it back in the 90s in an article but dont remember who it was . I've made a bunch of them ! We depleted all the inexpensive 20 ga. barrels from Numrich Arms ! Now there are only 16 and 24 ga. barrels left . They are fun and handy little guns AND ! 4 1/2 pds ! Love packing that thing aroundball day !
Hunting in the snow with my short NW gun

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221214-221358.png
    Screenshot_20221214-221358.png
    717.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20221214-221420.png
    Screenshot_20221214-221420.png
    461.6 KB · Views: 0
Was thinking around a 28 to 30" barrel, what is it you don't like about the short barrel smoothbores?
Oh , I dont dislike them ! I've made a bunch of them and like them a bunch just want folks to realize they do have their limitations . Great little light guns ! Here is the first Canoe length NW gun I made , probably around 1997 .

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1675623968706.jpg
    FB_IMG_1675623968706.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 0
LOL ...your great bud . I'd love yo make you a trade gun one day :) . Be so cool if a bunch of you guys were running around with guns id made :)
I guess I will be president of the Northern Plains Chapter of the "R. Miller Smoothbore Brigade"... We can all meet up every year for a Buffalo feast and little fine bourbon. We will start out the event with our Trade Guns in the air and fire a volley. Yea... I like where this is going... keep spreading those guns out Rob!

I guess I will be president of the Northern Plains Chapter of the "R. Miller Smoothbore Brigade"... We can all meet up every year for a Buffalo feast and little fine bourbon. We will start out the event with our Trade Guns in the air and fire a volley. Yea... I like where this is going... keep spreading those guns out
I guess I will be president of the Northern Plains Chapter of the "R. Miller Smoothbore Brigade"... We can all meet up every year for a Buffalo feast and little fine bourbon. We will start out the event with our Trade Guns in the air and fire a volley. Yea... I like where this is going... keep spreading those guns out Rob!
LMAO !!! Thats actually sounds great ! :D

Not sure when the reference of "canoe gun" started, but a very similar style, having been around since Europeans traded guns with the tribes, was a "horseback gun". I am not sure the average length that was preferred for the canoe gun, but horse guns tended to get way on the short side. I wonder if "canoe guns" were actually built for that purpose in those days or if they were just reduced (cut off) as was done with the Horse gun???

Back