Caring for leather clothing

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Zonie

Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
So, can anyone explain how they would take a leather shirt and tell if it was brain tanned, chrome tanned, vegetable tanned or any other type of tanned?

I've seen brain tanned leather and it's usually a dull smoky, very light tan color, but is color the only indicator of how it was tanned?

tenngun

Cannon
Reaction score
Pine smoke tends to make it yellowish, hardwood brownish, it should be a little softer and fluffy feeling compared to a denser chrome, salt/ alum,or bark- veggie tanned.
It will be ‘suede’ on both sides though on one side you will see the remains of epidermis.
You know what it is if you made it, if you buy a soft smoky yellowish brownish deer skin at two to three times the price of yellow or willow hides it might be brain tan.

Zonie

Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I know the shirt I bought was commercially made but I have no idea at all if it is chrome, salt/alum or bark/vegetable cured. I know it is not brain tanned but that is my question. Is there any way of telling?

shirt3.jpg

Brokennock

50 Cal.
Reaction score
So, can anyone explain how they would take a leather shirt and tell if it was brain tanned, chrome tanned, vegetable tanned or any other type of tanned?

I've seen brain tanned leather and it's usually a dull smoky, very light tan color, but is color the only indicator of how it was tanned?
It is a good question. Color may not be an indicator as the smoke used gives it it's color and that happens after the tanning process.
I'm sure someone could do some kind of organic chemical analysis, but it would involve cutting your shirt. I seem to recall something about the "fake" brain tan done with chrome having a greenish tinge just below the surface color when cut through. I could be misremembering that though.

Latest posts

Group Builder