• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Care for a razor strop

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Back when I did CW reenacting for 20 years, I carried a straight razor and used it to shave. I also carried the razor strop. I've often wondered if there is some care required in the maintenance of the leather side, such as oil or some lubricant. Also, I have never learned what the linen side of the strop is used for. I know it is also for honing the blade, but in what manner? 15 years on I still use the strop to hone my edges on my knives and chisels.

My wife says a razor strop was used in the past as a disciplinary item. Evidently well placed use on an errant child help them to understand what dad meant when he said something. At least that is her story. She now has two of her dad's strops. I know nothing about that, but do know the larger thicker yard sticks can also be used for the same purpose. My mom was an expert in their application.

Neatsfoot oil is best for conditioning a razor strop. It doesn't take much, just a few drops then smear/rub in with the palm of your hand. Apply just a couple drops at a time and work those in before applying more. This also helps increase the draw of the strop.

How do I know this? I've been a straight razor shaver for the past 12 years. I also buy, sell, restore (make new scales if needed) and hone straight razors.

I took up straight razor shaving a few years ago, as well as the old "double edge" razors. Once you develop the skills, it's easy peasy, and I have less skin irritation using either versus a modern 5-gazillion-blade Gillete or Schick. I admit that I do get a closer shave with the double-edge vs. the straight, but I still pull out one of my straight razors every now and again just to be sure I haven't lost my skills.

But... back when this was a bit of a hobby for me I did a bit of research, and I came to the conclusion that you really should NOT treat strop leather. The "fuzzy" side is for using a polishing compound if you want to, and the flat side is for the final strop. If you have one that'd a bit damaged or has nicks in it, enough that you are not getting shaving-sharp edge anymore, and assuming that you are convinced that your razor does not need to be honed, my advice would be to retire that strop from shaving strait edge razors, and either use it for other knives where the edge doesn't need to be THAT sharp, or use the leather for other things (flint wrap, tooling leather, etc).

Neatsfoot oil is best for conditioning a razor strop. It doesn't take much, just a few drops then smear/rub in with the palm of your hand. Apply just a couple drops at a time and work those in before applying more. This also helps increase the draw of the strop.

How do I know this? I've been a straight razor shaver for the past 12 years. I also buy, sell, restore (make new scales if needed) and hone straight razors.
I've had this strop for 30 years or so, and I've never done anything to treat it. It is still pliable and works well. I just wondered if there was anything I needed to do to keep it in good shape.

Sounds like you have a very good quality strop. If it is still pliable and works well I wouldn't worry about it. If the leather ever starts to get dry a little neats foot oil rubbed in will cure that. Leather contains natural oils and as long as the leather does not dry out the only other thing to be concerned about is it getting dirty. A shaving brush, some shave soap and a glass jar like what olives come in is all you need to clean a strop. Hope this helps.

Thanks. Originally from north east Tennessee, not far from you. beautiful area.

I use prime neatsfoot -not compound-on the smooth/skin side and let it soak through to revive the flesh side w/out losing the roughness. 2 of mine also have the heavy linen strop. The new one is just a plain leather strop.
The 2 are from the early 1900's, and still fully usable. Given the brand name and leather thickness & texture, I'm convinced it's elephant hide.
I'll post pics, but it takes too long to transfer them from phone to computer to do it now.

TXFlynHog, do you use a diagonal sliding cut w/ your straight razor or a straight pull?
I've gotten the cleanest shaves with the diagonal slide cut, but it's a lot easier to actually slice yourself that way. Not good for when you're in a hurry.

Back