• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

carbon ring problems

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,
I've had a problem develop that I didn't have before. A carbon ring will buildup in my 45 percussion rifles shooting heavy bullets and heavy loads. I didn't have this problem until recently and am using the same load, lube, and bullet. The carbon ring or area is from the top of the bullet when loaded down to the breach. What can I do to prevent this as is destroys accuracy and I'm shooting long range. Thanks

Are you wiping between shots? If so are you using the same cleaning patches and cleaning solutions to wipe with? Has rust formed there that’s causing the fouling to accumulate?

No rust and wiping the bore with loaded round does nothing. Wiping the whole bore may help though but I didn't have to wipe for 4 shots before.
I put 80g Goex 2f followed by hollow base 400g bullet full of crisco in the hollow.

No rust and wiping the bore with loaded round does nothing. Wiping the whole bore may help though but I didn't have to wipe for 4 shots before.
I put 80g Goex 2f followed by hollow base 400g bullet full of crisco in the hollow.
Maybe there is something going on right at that spot that's giving the carbon a base to cling to. Perhaps some really tough subtle fouling (I didn't say rust lol) that you can't even see. I'm only capable of limited advice, but scrubbing my barrel with the Poor Boy method sure shined up my barrel. If you decide to try it, wrap enough of the copper around the brass brush to make it fit extremely tightly in your barrel: I'm sold on that method, I think it will scrape anything out. Anyway I wish you luck in finding the cause of that problem. BTW, if you do order the poor boy scrub pads, check them with a magnet to make sure they're not copper coated steel Chinese fakes.

I’d experiment with a .50 caliber wool felt wad. It won’t need lube really and as long as the bullet is lubed you should be good to go without the crisco in the base of the bullet

Thanks yall, the felt wad is a good idea but I wonder if will decrease accuracy or have a problem causing this because it would be behind a hollow based bullet that needs to expand before it can get into the lands of the rifling??

Latest posts

Back