• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Carbine Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redcarpet

32 Cal
Reaction score
I am wanting a faster twist barrel for my Hawken and want it shorter like a carbine.

1" barrel channel.

Has anybody done this and about how short can a guy go and not get the balance too far out of whack?

I still want a bit of muzzle heavy like my current 32" barrel but it doesn't have to be quite as pronounced with the shorter barrel as it will be used in the woods at archery type ranges.

On your current barrel, how much barrel extends beyond the ramrod ferrule at the muzzle end? If you can cut 4-5" and still leave enough room to tuck the metal end of the ramrod tip under the barrel behind the muzzle then that's where I'd cut it. If you think you'll need to remove more barrel then you'll also need to move the ferrule back. My Renegade's have 26" barrels, 1" across the flats, I don't think I'd want less length than that. The .54 is somewhat barrel heavy but hangs nicely offhand. The .58 is notably less muzzle heavy but still hangs nicely when shooting offhand.

Last edited:
Sounds like you want a T/C White Mtn Carbine, 21" barrel with a twist for conicals. They made them in .45, .50 and .54. The .54 has a 1" barrel, the others 15/16" so I'm thinking a .54 might be your target.

I got screwed on a .50 White Mtn Carbine I tucked away later sending it to Mr. Hoyt for a rebored to a .54 for roundball, I'm loving it.

Good luck finding whatever it is you're looking for.

Sounds like you want a T/C White Mtn Carbine, 21" barrel with a twist for conicals. They made them in .45, .50 and .54. The .54 has a 1" barrel, the others 15/16" so I'm thinking a .54 might be your target.

I got screwed on a .50 White Mtn Carbine I tucked away later sending it to Mr. Hoyt for a rebored to a .54 for roundball, I'm loving it.

Good luck finding whatever it is you're looking for.

The 54cal White Mountain had TC's regular 1 in 48 twist.

At one time Green Mountain offered their LRH fast twist drop-ins in either 21 or 22 inch length. Maybe you could find one tucked away somewhere.

Rice offers drop ins that are in the white. Just don't know if a 24" will be too butt heavy.

My T/C whte mountain carbine in 54cal 22" barrel balances about 5 inches in front the of trigger guard ...Remember that it also has a rounded barrel on the front half of the barrel which puts the balance point about 1" forward of the middle of the rifle making the rifle slightly barrel heavy

A 22" fully square barrel will balance a couple of inches more forward of center making it even more barrel heavy that the rounded version. so @Bad Karma is spot on, a 24" will be barrel heavy

Back