• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Carbelas Hawkins

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
zonie', moderator sir,, could you please explain to me why a new to the sport shooter needs to cutomize an "over the counter" rifle nip? Are you trying to explain to us that traditional muzzle guns need to be tweeked? Just because their "ole tymey"?
Tell me Zonie" how many #11 cap nips do you have ta cut just so your gun works? How many times did you cut nipp's before you found the real problem?
wore out guns are worn out gun's. They need parts replaced! Tell me zonie,? when was the last time you put a drop of oil on your tumbler?(cain't even find it can ya!)
Don't go thinking any of this talk of nip's has anything ta do with other than bp,, go back to BSB for that,,I'm sure you understand

I've only been around traditional ML's since the early '60's but I've about always had to tinker with new nipples get get them to suit me. I guess there's something new to learn everyday, but if it ain't workin' I tinker with the cheapest fix first.

noholdguy: Actually I was responding to the post by Lonewolf5347 when he said "I ORDERED A KNIGHT RED HOT ,FITS THE THREADS BUT THE TAPER IS TO LONG,SEEM THE SHORTER THE NIPPLE SHAFT THE BETTER THE HAMMER SITS OVER THE NIPPLE" and indirectly to your post which said the tumbler (or lock plate) was worn.

Shortening a nipple to improve alignment is not uncommon mainly because the factorys do not build custom guns.
When someone in his/her attempt to improve their gun buys parts which don't fit exactly right I think it is only right to help them with their problem if I can.
There are no set Industrial Standards for items like nipples so those provided by one company may differ from the nipple the gun was originally designed to use. As I'm sure you know, many of the problems which come up with black powder guns are rather easily fixed and nipple length is one of them.

With reference to the defective lock perhaps your experiance leads you to suggest throwing away a relatively new lock rather than working on the most likely cause of the problem. Mine does not.

As for my knowledge of Black Powder shooting suffice it to say I have been shooting Black Powder for 34 years and I have been building custom Pennsylvania rifles for over 8 years. This of course includes building locks so my knowledge of them is not small.
As for the nipple alignment on my guns, all of my rifles (both factory and those built by me) work flawlessly.

kevin, nope the trade rifle has a drum breech,the hawkin has a snail.
haggis,I only been around bp since the early 80s' an I'm traditional shooter only also.
Northern minn.eh'? I know that country well. Arrowhead region are ya?

noldguy The GPR is new it seems many GPR owners have the same problem ,when it comes to hammer alignment over nipple due to the lenght of the nipple

Rick, yep just got it now,,it's on the way
smile.gif

lonewolf, your right the Cabelas Hawkins are made by Lyman and the same 6mm x .75mm nip will fit. The 6mm x 1mm nipps are for the typical Traditions and CVA.
The GM I.B.S. (drop in) barrels will fit the Cabelas Hawkin rifles also,, they'll even fit the GPR/GPH modles of Lyman with minor modification.(moving and adding underlug,shortning the rail) All have the same hooked breech

Yup! Arrowhead country. I've been known to push my canoe into the Boundry Waters Canoe Area Wilderness and stay gone a couple of weeks at a time. It's a plumb joy to be in a place where the nearest road is 100 or more miles away and the only road to the north is the only road between me an' Russia. It's the only time I really feel alive. Bear, Moose, endless miles of lakes and portages, and not a road, powerline, phone ner nothin' else to remind me that the days of the Free Trapper are gone. Eagles are everywhere, beaver an' otter are all over the place.

Pardon my transgression, I don't mean to hyjack this thread.

zonie,lonewolf; sorry to offend,,
Nobody needs to "file" "chuck and mill" a nipple to fit a new GPR. sorry, go back to the "bent hammer" thread and look at the photo's again,.
If it's a new rifle, and theres trouble, then return it to the seller or factory. there is no way a new nipp won't fit a new gun,,we'er talkin 03'-04' here,,heck I'll go back as far a 99'no way does a nip need to be filed or milled. Proper thread size nipp's fit.,period,,any idiot can "force" the wrong size in,but that's another issue ain't it?
New GPR. Cain't find a nip. Gotta bend the hammer. Pardon the language,,*****.

[ January 20, 2004, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: Claude Mathis ]

haggis,,do yas vous'?
Harris? Big island? Forest city? Isle? Deer river?
I lived in Hoyt,fer just a bit,,dang Tower took the low that year! met a "bucktooth gal" from Babbit,now I pay child support and Dental!
smile.gif

ok, but thar ain't much differance tween them two towns,one side a da hill or the other, your right,mights just well stick with the family, an our a good man fer doin just that. I was east just a bit. An thank you, I do as best I can, I stay home an care for mine too,

Latest posts

Back