• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Captain Schaeffer’s Revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently saw the firm of F.LLI Pietta of Italy has done a fetching homage to the custom Colt’s revolving belt pistol of naval caliber owned by Capt. F. B. Schaeffer whom served in the Mexican War. You can read more about the Captain and his revolver here. Below are the two pieces thusly:

The original as owned by Schaeffer:
72772C54-EF38-474D-BED7-10A9757D5FA1.jpeg

Pietta’s Homage:
6B404BAD-2059-4875-A34C-55A18B1AB4B6.jpeg

I find it overall an attractive arm! Normally I am not so keen on the overtly embellished pistols but considering this was inspired by a historical original with provenance and the overall lines and styling really draw me to the gun. I’ve also been hunting for a smaller, more compact percussion revolver for concealed carry and this gun looks very appropriate. 6 shots of .36 caliber with the full chamber capacity of the Navy sized belt pistols but with a nice short barrel.

I emailed the E.M.F. Company, the main importer of Pietta’s revolvers into America, and requested to be put on the waiting list for one of these. They responded they are expected back in stock in June. I’ve been exceedingly pleased with the last two Pietta revolvers I’ve purchased both being in 2020 (London Navy and Army belt pistol) and do believe their quality at current is the best of any caplock revolver on the market.

What are your thoughts on this gun, parts? Take care!

It is said that Pietta is only going to make a limited number of these guns and they are very well made. Mine are from the third year of production I believe and they are consecutive numbers in the late 200 range.
great fun to shoot mine get a work out from time to time.
Treasure it they are the quintessential Bar B Que gun real show stoppers.
Hold Center
Bunk

It is said that Pietta is only going to make a limited number of these guns and they are very well made. Mine are from the third year of production I believe and they are consecutive numbers in the late 200 range. great fun to shoot mine get a work out from time to time. Treasure it they are the quintessential Bar B Que gun real show stoppers. Hold Center Bunk

Captain Schaefer was in the San Francisco militia during the gold rush and quit to join the Washington D.C. police and then resigned to fight the civil war. Fought at Bull Run for the Confederacy.

Last edited:
a 2 part article by the late Dennis Adler. I have to translate with a mouse click from Italian to English. Also, the earliest (pre production) Captain Schaeffer by Pietta had a 3-1/2" barrel and that was what Dennis reviewed. The production guns had 4" barrels. His article was from Guns of the Old West magazine, right around 2016.
An Unusual 1851 NavyOne of the most prolific sidearms of U.S. soldiers and Militias 1 of 2
An Unusual 1851 NavyOne of the most prolific sidearms of U.S. soldiers and Militias 2 of 2

Proverbial dumb question: How does one ram the ball into the chamber with that short of a rammer?

ETA: Watched the video & where does one get that piece of cheater rod to load these?
Have been tempted to get a short 1851( not this one) and would like to get one.

Last edited:
I have a 4⅞" sheriff model, I made a cheater pipe from scrap thin walled steel tubing. I squared up the end to lock on the rammer near the pivot, works like a champ. You could probably use ½" copper pipe from the hardware. If you need pics I can take some tomorrow and post them, I'm at work at the moment. Fun guns, the balance is superb.

I have a 4⅞" sheriff model, I made a cheater pipe from scrap thin walled steel tubing. I squared up the end to lock on the rammer near the pivot, works like a champ. You could probably use ½" copper pipe from the hardware. If you need pics I can take some tomorrow and post them, I'm at work at the moment. Fun guns, the balance is superb.
Would appreciate it.

Yeah, but that costs money, and I'm che...uh, financially responsible. So I made this, I tapped on it with a hammer to square it up, waxed the end of the lever, and put a blob of epoxy on the top to help support the end of the lever. Works great 👍

Attachments

• IMG_20230228_124213__01.jpg
    IMG_20230228_124213__01.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230228_124308.jpg
    IMG_20230228_124308.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230228_124241.jpg
    IMG_20230228_124241.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Proverbial dumb question: How does one ram the ball into the chamber with that short of a rammer?

ETA: Watched the video & where does one get that piece of cheater rod to load these?
Have been tempted to get a short 1851( not this one) and would like to get one.
It can be loaded using a Slixhand extension, but i load mine off the gun with a Dick Dastardly Tower of Power (shameless plug). Faster and surer than that just for show rammer. It would look strange without it but is great fun to shoot.
Bunk

It can be loaded using a Slixhand extension, but i load mine off the gun with a Dick Dastardly Tower of Power (shameless plug). Faster and surer than that just for show rammer. It would look strange without it but is great fun to shoot.
Bunk
linkages:
Slixhand extension

Dick Dastardly Tower of Power
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do appreciate the info, will get the Tower of Power to use at N-SSA matches. :cool:

By the way the grand total including 8% State sales tax and shipping was $515. The shipping shown in the cart is for a 'firearm'. Percussion can be shipped way cheaper. So when you call the next day to finalize the deal, you will get the real price. And your card is not charged until you do that (or they will call you).

Latest posts

Back