• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The folks at MidwayUSA are good people. .......... Their price is reasonable ........they are not price gouging people.

Has not been my experience EVER with Midway on any point. I'd not purchase even a bottle of water from them if I were parched and in death valley. I have not dealt with them for over 15 years, and will not.

The folks at MidwayUSA are good people. Unfortunately they too are out of caps. They were out of black powder too, but in the last few weeks now have a supply. Their price is reasonable and they are limiting orders to 2 lb per person to ensure they can supply as many people as possible....with the hazmat fee it does make the price high but it is available and they are not price gouging people.
I’ve been buying from MidwayUSA for years, got some powder from them couple of months ago, good price and very fast shipping, just recently picked up a couple of molds there, no price gouging and shipped fast, good people that take care of their customers, as it should be.

I have ordered the tool for my percussion rifles but will these work on my 1851 colt?

Worth a try. Nipple sizes/cap compatibility on cap and ball revolvers seems surprisingly finicky and hard to predict, so who knows? When I run out of Rem 10s, if I haven't found that any of the 11s I have on hand fit, I will swap out the nipples for something that fits what I have.

Worth a try. Nipple sizes/cap compatibility on cap and ball revolvers seems surprisingly finicky and hard to predict, so who knows? When I run out of Rem 10s, if I haven't found that any of the 11s I have on hand fit, I will swap out the nipples for something that fits what I have.
My cap maker tool arrived! Works as stated and I made some caps to test fit. They fit great on the rifles, a little loose on some but they fit. They don't work well in a capper, though. Tried fitting to my Colt 1851 Navy nipples. Since they don't fit a capper easily I had to put them on manually. AAARRRGH, what a PITA! Once they were installed they were a pretty loose fit. Chain fire city if you ask me. I'll wait until #10 CCIs are available again.

Now I'll order the Prime-All mix and try them on the rifles.

I have one of the Tap-o-Cap makers, and my home brew caps fit like a charm. I used the stuff out of the red plastic caps and some black powder, sealed in with tissue paper dot and wax hair spray. There is enough juice in those caps to blow out a double pop can cap. They passed the slow crush test- put one on the anvil and slowly crushed it with a 4 lb sledge and it did not explode. Gave the crushed cap a good whack and it popped. They fit nicely on my ASM 1851. Have not tested these with loaded chambers yet, maybe this week.
will be ordering some Prime all and see if it actually gets to Canada.

They are a little loose on the smaller nipples. Some have after market nipples on their revolvers and the fit is tighter.I have uncle mikes nipples on one of mine. They fit well on them. It would be easy to reduce the cups by pushing them through a proper sized hole to get the fit desired.
eggwelder If the prime-all does not get to you. You can easily make it yourself.

I have not really looked into sourcing the ingredients here, i`ll see what i can find this evening.

My cap maker tool arrived! Works as stated and I made some caps to test fit. They fit great on the rifles, a little loose on some but they fit. They don't work well in a capper, though. Tried fitting to my Colt 1851 Navy nipples. Since they don't fit a capper easily I had to put them on manually. AAARRRGH, what a PITA! Once they were installed they were a pretty loose fit. Chain fire city if you ask me. I'll wait until #10 CCIs are available again.

Now I'll order the Prime-All mix and try them on the rifles.
if you double the cap by striking the plunger just part way down, then moving the sheet and striking full depth they work very well on my 51 peitta. Colt nipples may vary.

They are a little loose on the smaller nipples. Some have after market nipples on their revolvers and the fit is tighter.I have uncle mikes nipples on one of mine. They fit well on them. It would be easy to reduce the cups by pushing them through a proper sized hole to get the fit desired.
eggwelder If the prime-all does not get to you. You can easily make it yourself.
the two main ingredients are difficult to obtain in Canada, although one is apparently easily made with grocery store items. you will be asked many hard questions if you seek to purchase this even with a very good reason to be buying it.
still looking for a Canadian source for the antimony compound, it`s used in ceramics, fireworks, and glass making so "shouldn`t" be too hard to find. it is not a controlled substance- yet

Caps no problem, just purchased 1000 for $59.50 plus tax for CCI #11. I usually buy RWS but CCI's are just as good. With flints and powder I have I should be good to go for a year or two...

Due to the shortage of #10's and #11's, I had to adapt a musket nipple to my Hawken. I use CCI Musket caps, the ones with the four flanges, looks like a hat. My problem is they are not terribly reliable, not "hot" enough. My work around is time consuming but it does work. I remove the screw from the drum and clean it out, dribble a very small amount of RS in it and use a nipple pick to make sure it gets where it needs to be. I should take it to a black powder gunsmith to see if he can clean up the whole "ignition" system. It's almost like having a flintlock but it works. I will be happy when Black Powder and proper caps become available again.

Back