• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

cappers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snubnose57

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just wondering what type of cappers were used back when. I use leather, and both styles of the Ted Cash cappers, not sure if these are H/C. All I can find are the Patterson cappers. Handling a little tin must have been tough when the wagons were under attack.

Not really sure but I’d imagine that their main concern was to have a capper that would 100% definitively secure each and every cap to be used in the device. Those caps were like gold for a percussion gun and supplies for some were far and in between!

As for me personally, I’ve used the leather ones as well as Ted Cash make’s. Had problems with the cap’s staying put in the leather ones. I’ve scratched the finish off around the nipple area with those others.

I now personally have a small leather pouch tied to the front of my belt that’s just big enough for me to get three fingers in to retrieve a cap when needed. The pouch will hold about a 100 caps give or take. I hand load the cap on the nipple. No doubt this would be historically correct as well!

Respectfully, Cowboy

Cowboy said:
Had problems with the cap’s staying put in the leather ones.

Same here with all I've bought, but I studied them and tried making my own with great success. Small adjustments in hole diameter and leather choice have a huge impact, but with some trial and error to find the right combo.

For me surrounded by bags of scrap leather looking for the meaning of life, it was a good project. Someone who doesn't make their own is kind of in a corner.

As for the brass Cash versions used on a rifle, I've settled on the "snail" shaped ones intended for handguns rather than the oval shaped ones or the skinny straight ones. Somehow they are easier for me to handle yet result in very little scraping around the nipple.

I have a small leather one I made years ago from a piece of an old leather belt. The leather is about the same thickness as the cap and I used a leather punch to make the holes around the edge. It seems to hold the caps tight and I rarely lose one. If at some point the holes get loose, I'll make another from an old piece of thick scrap leather. Works great for a rifle, but not for a revolver.

We have a number of cappers of various styles, including some Ted Cash ones. I have made several leather ones using a plier-type punch. Work just fine and last years and years. The brass types that seem to work best are straight line..for me. Mostly I just use my hands.

I too mostly just use my hands to cap the rifle or revolver when I'm at the range. Sometimes if it is cold, I'll use an inline capper because I have a couple that were also acquired as part of some deal. Do you see a pattern here. :grin:

I've never had success with brass cappers. I've made leather cappers which work much better and have a rubber one that also works great.

Hardly HC, but I picked up a straight line capper marked Traditions that works great. It is for musket caps and handles the top hats just fine.

Agreed. The Ted Cash snail capper seems to work best from my experience. The Cash, and others, straight line cappers tend to lose more outside and turnover more inside. I haven't tried the oval cappers, but the snail cappers work great.

I've tried several brass cappers and found them all frustrating. I made some leather cappers per BrownBear's advice. I noticed it took a little practice to acquire the manual dexterity to line the cap up with the nipple, but after I got that dialed in my brass cappers started gathering dust. Way fewer caps wind up on the ground now.

Gentlemen,
Does anyone know if the straight line are HC?
I have a Ted Cash snail style, but it doesn't want to release the caps.

David

Last edited by a moderator:
Snakebite said:
Smokey Plainsman said:
I use this:
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/1207/1/CAPPER-TC-B

It functions perfectly and is based off of a period example. Tucks away smartly in one's shooting bag to prime the piece even when fingers are cold or stiff.

I’ve had one of these for over 40 years, it isn’t as bright and shiney as it used to be but still works just fine. (That’s long then Smokey’s been around! :grin: :grin:

Yep! :)

The one I have has “done took” a nice patina from usage, giving it a most authentic appearance. The only thing “off” about it is it says “tdcmfg.com” in small print on the back of it! :doh:

I’ve written Ted asking him to remove his modern Internet address off his replica cap magazine! But the gadget works most suredly and isn’t one I’d soon be without when toting a cap lock in the field.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back