• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Capper anyone ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Polish capper. I really like the design, size and quality. However, mine doesn't seem to work right. Since if came from Poland, I'm not going to try to return it. It doesn't want to let go of the cap. I put it on the nipple and pull to the side, lift up slowly, ....all kinds of little quirks. Still it pulls the cap back off a lot of the time. It is easier to use than the "stick" capper I have and easier to fill and "load" than the snail capper but it doesn't quite work right for some reason.

I have a Polish capper. I really like the design, size and quality. However, mine doesn't seem to work right. Since if came from Poland, I'm not going to try to return it. It doesn't want to let go of the cap. I put it on the nipple and pull to the side, lift up slowly, ....all kinds of little quirks. Still it pulls the cap back off a lot of the time. It is easier to use than the "stick" capper I have and easier to fill and "load" than the snail capper but it doesn't quite work right for some reason.

Mine did that, too, at first.

This capper really requires a tight cap to nipple fit. The friction of the cap on the nipple is the only thing keeping it from pulling it off when you pull back the capper. Are you using a rifle? For my revolvers Slix Shots and Remington #10s work the best and the cap stays on snug.

I also have one of the Polish cappers. as Smokey Plainsman says the caps need to be a proper fit so when you push them on they have a good friction fit the capper then raises easily without them.
On my Remington NMA it needs an angled exit with RWS 1075 caps to leave the cap there and is not worth using but with Remington number tens it is a pefect piece of kit,straight down and up and you are done perfectly every time.
Using it with number 10's i never have a mis- cap or mis fire, brilliant.

I've been using the same Ted Cash oval capper since the early '80's it hasn't caused me any issues in all that time. Dump the caps in and gently shake it side to side with the lid open most caps will right themselves those that don't I just flip over with my patch knife.

I use a straight line capper on a revolver but otherwise use leather cappers that i make myself. Just about any piece of leather will work. The one in the picture is made from a preformed piece of leather. Tandy sells them in a bag of eight or ten. With that and a 5/32 punch also available at Tandy you can make more of these than you will ever need. I put the capper and a measure on a piece of leather lace and hang it around my neck for hunting, plinking or match shooting. If hunting and the weather turns bad it goes into a pocket or the bag.

View attachment 42856View attachment 42857
There ya go long cruise just a bit more fancy than my home brewed one, great ideal.

I have seen a lot of leather cap holders of different design used at many club shoots and at rendezvous. thety seem to be the norm. if it isn't broke then don't fix it!!

I use a straight line capper on a revolver but otherwise use leather cappers that i make myself. Just about any piece of leather will work. The one in the picture is made from a preformed piece of leather. Tandy sells them in a bag of eight or ten. With that and a 5/32 punch also available at Tandy you can make more of these than you will ever need. I put the capper and a measure on a piece of leather lace and hang it around my neck for hunting, plinking or match shooting. If hunting and the weather turns bad it goes into a pocket or the bag.

View attachment 42856View attachment 42857
I like the capper and i love the powder measure using an empty case in the horn.
DL

When I use a cap lock, I made a cap holder from a piece of leather about 3 in. long and a inch wide took a leather punch punched holes in this that would hold a percussion cap firm all I have to do is place the cap on the nipple hold my thumb over the cap and lift the leather holder. This works fine for the rifles but due to the size I do not think it would work very well for a revolver.
I compete with 1858 Remingtons & they have very narrow nipple slots. I read on a European black powder forum that the Polish cappers would work so ordered one. It works great plus the heavy duty backing plate allows me to firmly seat the nipple & avoid miss-fires that I would get from the thinner stick type cappers.
The Polish capper is now my go-to capper for all of my percussion rifles & pistols.

Smokey, I use a leather capper when hunting and it has rarely lost a cap. I noticed some folks make theirs with a slit to the hole to be able to pull it away. I do not have that. Mine are simply punched out holes.

AFAIK; nobody carries them in the US. Don’t be worried about ordering them from the website.

They ship them out right away. I’ve ordered a half dozen at different times and they all got here okay.

There was only one that took a while to get here, The post office had more information than I did and showed me on their computer screen that the hold up was with customs.

Don’t let that keep you from ordering one as you won’t regret it.

I ordered a Polish Capper on September 12th and got it yesterday up here in Alaska, It is an impressive capper. Looking forward to using it on Remington revolver. Purchasing w/CC was easy from the website.
However, I woke up this am to find my CC on hold. There were 2 charges to Duetcsh Bank Internet, one being a $108 charge for a train ticket to Vienna. I'm not accusing the Polish Capper personnel but someplace in the process my CC got hacked.

I ordered a Polish Capper on September 12th and got it yesterday up here in Alaska, It is an impressive capper. Looking forward to using it on Remington revolver. Purchasing w/CC was easy from the website.
However, I woke up this am to find my CC on hold. There were 2 charges to Duetcsh Bank Internet, one being a $108 charge for a train ticket to Vienna. I'm not accusing the Polish Capper personnel but someplace in the process my CC got hacked.

Send them an email to look into it.

I’ve purchased quite a few cappers from them. They’ve always been great to do business with.

I'm sorry to hear about the hack and I'm sure it was a hack. I expect your card company will straighten it out for you. I spent several months in Warsaw over the past couple of years and used my card extensively with no problems. I did notify the card company to expect charges from there and they put a note on my account.

Sure wish someone place in the U.S. would stock them to make things easier and safer.

Would be great if someone here who actually has one to send a note to maybe Dixie or The Log Cabin to see if they would have any interest.

Back