• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Capper anyone ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good afternoon. Here are pics of my homemade capper of about 25 years. Essentially two thicknesses of leather about 1/8" thick [1/4" thick capper. Drill or punch holes about 1/8 to 3/16 inch from edges of ONE sheet [thickness] of leather to fit cap size. Cut slots in that sheet only from each hole to the edge as shown. Now glue the two sheets together as shown. Drill or punch a hole for your leather thong. Let it dry. Fill holes with caps and try it. Place cap, twist and pull gently. Voila! Polecat

Attachments

• PICT0457.JPG
    PICT0457.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 119
  • PICT0456.JPG
    PICT0456.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 124
Ooops .. I should say glue only down the center between holes if possible. [too clean for those years? Thong is long enough to drop in bag when necessary.] Polecat

Here are the cappers I use, both work fine and hold I'm guessing 80 - 100 #11 caps each. Load once and shoot a long time before having to reload. I hang them on outside of bag when shooting, store them inside when not shooting.View attachment 38906
I use a capper like the one on the bottom photo, from Ted Cash... it’s a great capper! Mine has taken on quite a patina as well. I’ve tried to use the inline cappers as well as a couple home made leather ones as well.. I’ll take my Ted Cash over the others any day.

Here is my very simple capper. I use it for hunting (you're in real trouble if you need more then 10 shots) and when I go to the range. this one is at least 35 to 40 years old and still working. I also included a picture of the rifle it is hanging on.
View attachment 39038
View attachment 39039
Nice. May I ask, what rifle is that to which it is attached?

CVA. makes one. I use it all the time to put musket caps on my CIVIL WAR MUSKETS, it only holds around 10. but that is enough tor two 10 shot groups at the range then fill her up again.

Hm, @toot, I only spent 5 years at engineering school and maybe I missed something in my math classes. How can a capper that holds 10 caps be used for two ten shot groups? Typo? I haven't had much luck reusing caps.

CVA. makes one. I use it all the time to put musket caps on my CIVIL WAR MUSKETS, it only holds around 10. but that is enough tor two 10 shot groups at the range then fill her up again.
Original civil war muskets or reproduction civil war muskets? there is a difference

I use the Ted Cash pistol capper. I bought it to use with my ROA, but found it works just fine with any percussion firearm. It's a good 30-35 years old, and the only problem I have had with it (dropping caps) is operator error, not the capper's fault. The radio control airplane boys call it "dumb thumb" in the after-crash assessment. Great capper for $25.

I use CCI musket caps on both repo's and original muskets, they fit both, not the ones changed to # 10 or 11;s, I am talking MUSKET CAPS , thought I made that clear?. they only come in one size, 4 wing musket caps.

yeah there is a difference one is old and original and one is a new one. that is what I understand to be different. am I missing something?

Nice. May I ask, what rifle is that to which it is attached?

It’s a Frankenstein. This was first build about 45 years ago. It started as a euroarms Kentucky rifle kit With a one piece stock that I never got the accuracy I wanted from the rifle. I decided to order a premium 45 caliber barrel from Dixie gun works. When I got the barrel it was a little short so I had To reduce the stock I little. It the process I decided to make it a half stock rifle so more parts from Dixie. Anyway I reworked the lock until it had a crisp let off. Put it all back together and it is more accurate the I could hope for.

I shot an original '61 Trenton for years with the original nipple. I've shot repros and originals (current gun is a '61 Bridesburg) with many different aftermarket nipples and they all took the same caps. BTW, I've never used anything except RWS caps.
I was going for all original stuff on my 61 Bridesberg. The "period correct" cap is the flanged cap. It takes a specific nipple that does not fit the three cappers I've purchased so far. I understand only Ted Cash makes such a capper. I'm fine without it and it's not period correct but I like the brass acoutrements in my shooting box. It had something aftermarket in it when I got it. Shot a smaller cap.

I use CCI musket caps on both repo's and original muskets, they fit both, not the ones changed to # 10 or 11;s, I am talking MUSKET CAPS , thought I made that clear?. they only come in one size, 4 wing musket caps.
Looks like Amazon and some others have a straight line musket cap capper. Here is a pic of the one from Amazon. I believe it is a Traditions one.

Attachments

• 69E65171-A31E-43D4-AFFF-206E1856ECCF.jpeg
    69E65171-A31E-43D4-AFFF-206E1856ECCF.jpeg
    30.7 KB · Views: 77
Back