• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Capper anyone ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too use a straight line capper for hunting, wear it around my neck along with my powder measure. Can't remember where I got it or what brand it might be. Pain to fill, but stay oriented correctly once in it and its awfully convenient when hunting.
At the range I just get one at a time out of the tin.

I've used several different designs of cappers, but this old CVA design remains my favorite.

1596662384258.png

I use home made leather cappers, Small ones on a necklass for hunting, longer ones for target shooting. They are just a straight strip with 3/16 holes punched into them with a knife slit out one side. Then two solid leather strips holding the punched strip in a "sandwich". Easy to make and easy to use.

The one on top is a Thompson Center and is made out of plastic. The brass one is very old and was gifted to me by my uncle, it has 'TDC' on the catch but I prefer it over the T/C.
The brass capper marked "TDC" is the oval capper made by Ted Cash and is available from many of the Muzzle Loading Retail shops. Its a very good capper for rifles and single shot pistols. Its not a good capper for revolvers. The snail capper by Ted Cash is designed to be suitable for revolvers, but it is difficult to use on a Remington design.

There is a capper made in Poland (?) that will work on a revolver. They are a little expensive but look really well made. Do a search for Polish capper and see what comes up.

This is the link if it is allowed. All of the reviews that I have seen on it are good. https://www.polishcappers.com/en/p/kapiszonownik-uniwersalny-model-pcc-na-okolo-150-szt-kapiszonow

Who here uses a capper as an accessory to your Hawken or other percussion long gun ? If not a capper what do you use to organize your percussion caps in your hunting pouch or hunting bag ?
I hate cappers, but they are necessary when in the field! I don't hunt, so I am usually where I can set the factory container down and insert the cap my with fingers. When I am forced to use a capper it is of the inline style.
Flintlocklar 🇺🇸

The brass capper marked "TDC" is the oval capper made by Ted Cash and is available from many of the Muzzle Loading Retail shops. Its a very good capper for rifles and single shot pistols. Its not a good capper for revolvers. The snail capper by Ted Cash is designed to be suitable for revolvers, but it is difficult to use on a Remington design.

Thanks for the info on the Ted Cash capper. When I saw the 'TDC' I thought maybe that was the case. I really like it, it's small, sturdy and works great.

Here's a picture of my cappers.

Cappers.jpg

The inline capper on the left is a pain to load, but will cap a Colt revolver and is close to working on a Remington.

The leather capper holds about 12 caps and is easy to use on most rifles. The large bead adds weight and keeps the capper located around my neck.

You can see a few caps in the Ted Cash Oval capper. The lever releases one cap at a time and the spring holds the cap for insertion on the nipple.

The nose on the snail capper can be a bit too large for some revolvers.

I'm about 90% flintlock but when I get one of the percussion's out these are the ones I use, have got a couple more inline ones but this is what was in bag.

Attachments

• 20200806_090656.jpg
    20200806_090656.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 216
  • 20200806_090636.jpg
    20200806_090636.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 205
I probably have at least half a dozen Ted cash cappers around here somewhere. I have used them for years, with absolutely no problems. If shooting at a match, I just hang one around my neck to make it easy to cap the rifle while standing on the line as that is considered the safest way when loading around other people.

I have been using the brass inline and snail designs - inline for revolvers and snail for rifle/shotgun. As others have commented, the inlines work well for the actual capping but are fussy to fill, plus they only hold about 20 caps. The snail is easier to fill and easily holds 100 caps but the 'nose' is too large to reach revolver nipples, occasionally I'll have a cap that doesn't stay oriented but overall that hasn't been a problem. Just received my new Polish capper last week, haven't used it on the range yet but did try it on Remington and Colt cylinders and it worked as advertised. My hands don't work well anymore, it can be very difficult to simply open the cap tin. For that reason I'm looking forward to using the Polish model to get more handguns dirty. Fyi - the folks in Poland were very easy to work with, shipping in my case was just short of a month. It left Europe in the first couple of days, the rest was on this side of the water.

i use the Traditions capper pictured at my link: Wear it on a long dog tag chain while hunting with the capper poked into an upper pocket of the hunting vest.

Works very well for me.

I have been using the brass inline and snail designs - inline for revolvers and snail for rifle/shotgun. As others have commented, the inlines work well for the actual capping but are fussy to fill, plus they only hold about 20 caps. The snail is easier to fill and easily holds 100 caps but the 'nose' is too large to reach revolver nipples, occasionally I'll have a cap that doesn't stay oriented but overall that hasn't been a problem. Just received my new Polish capper last week, haven't used it on the range yet but did try it on Remington and Colt cylinders and it worked as advertised. My hands don't work well anymore, it can be very difficult to simply open the cap tin. For that reason I'm looking forward to using the Polish model to get more handguns dirty. Fyi - the folks in Poland were very easy to work with, shipping in my case was just short of a month. It left Europe in the first couple of days, the rest was on this side of the water.

I know what you mean about the hands not working. Have lost a lot of the feeling in my finger tips which makes it hard to feel those tiny caps. To have to refill an inline capper every time I would shoot was a hassle. With the Ted Cash and the T/C, I sit down for a spell, fill them both once and enjoy several shooting sessions.....works great for me.

I'm an avid percussion revolver shooter & after reading excellent reviews on this Polish Capper I ordered one direct from the maker in Poland to try out.
I found this capper to be well machined.. The capper's body easily holds a hundred caps & keeps them in the proper position to load. It does feed a bit different than ones made in the USA but I found that the heavy duty brass tab on this capper fits great in the slots of my original & repro 1858 Remingtons & Colts, better than any I've tried over the past 50 years & also use it with my rifles as well.
Unlike lightweight stamped cappers the thicker loading tab on this Polish model allows the caps to be 'firmly seated' & it has eliminated miss-fires due to tight fitting caps not seated firmly against the nipples.
The seller corresponded well with me & shipped right away & seems to have excellent feedback with buyers in the US.
The website polishcapper.com may show up in Polish but your computer can easily translate to English if you decide to check it out.

1596729693056.png

I liked the Polish Capper so much that I have several of them and have some to fellow blackpowder shooters for presents,

Back