• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Capandball does it again - compares FOUR C & B handguns.....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Colt Model 1860, the Starr of 1858, the Beaumont-Adams of 1856 and the Remington NMA of 1858.

Just over thirty minutes of pure BP nostalgia with some history lessons thrown in for good measure.

Nice to see a more scientific and objective comparison from somebody who really knows what he's talking about.
I particularly liked the paper cartridge making section which is something that has always been of interest to me.
Brian

Many of us have used Elmer’s friends he spoke of claiming the .36 ball was much more effective compared to the conical. And this makes sense knowing a pointy slow bullet creates a smaller than caliber hole whereas a ball seems to make a caliber sized hole. But how does a .44 conical compare to a .36 ball? Did the ball make up the difference? Conicals in cartridges were what they as mainly used so it clearly has some reasoning behind its use I’d guess, though some times we just seem to do things that just really don’t make sense... Sometimes it’s a $10 bolt or just your buddy’s business in the governmental mix. I’d certainly love to see some gel tests of conicals.

I'm VERY interested in finding out the name of the American mould-makers that produce moulds for these rare items. They HAVE been mentioned here, but for the life of me I can't recall the name. See, there are a comparatively large number of these Beaumont-Adams and Adams, Starr and Tranter revolvers in the hands of British shooters who have to use ball instead of the conicals we see in use by Dr Németh.

I'd be grateful to know the name.

Nice to see a more scientific and objective comparison from somebody who really knows what he's talking about.
I particularly liked the paper cartridge making section which is something that has always been of interest to me.
Brian

I'll be sending off for one of his cartridge-making forms in the next week or so - i'll let you know how long it takes to get HERE in UK.

I'll be sending off for one of his cartridge-making forms in the next week or so - i'll let you know how long it takes to get HERE in UK.

I read somewhere that loose powder charges and bullet moulds were quickly dispensed with early on in the civil war to make way for pre-prepared paper cartridges.
I would be very interested in hearing how you get on with the former when it arrives.
I also have a short booklet on the making of paper cartridges which contains templates for making the mandrill in .36 & .44 calibres should you have a problem importing the kit.
Brian

Ahah!!! The mould/mold-maker is Eras Gone. Right now he is not shipping outside CONUS. I'll have to wait for a relative to do the deal for me form my new bullet mould/mold.

I read somewhere that loose powder charges and bullet moulds were quickly dispensed with early on in the civil war to make way for pre-prepared paper cartridges.
I would be very interested in hearing how you get on with the former when it arrives.
I also have a short booklet on the making of paper cartridges which contains templates for making the mandrill in .36 & .44 calibres should you have a problem importing the kit.
Brian

Hey, Brian- I already have the mandrel, having turned it up out of a nice piece of ebonite a few years ago to make cartridges using roll-up Rizla papers. It's the niftiness of the set-up that Dr Németh uses that appeals to me.

Eras Gone Bullet Molds is the company - the molds are made for him by the Lee Mold Company. I have the three calibers - .31, .36, and .44 Johnston & Dows bullet molds and just ordered the Kerr mold. The molds cast a very nice bullet. I also have the Cap & Ball paper cartridge former for the .36 and .44 caliber paper cartridge and it does a fine job with either hair curling paper or coffee filters that I have treated with potassium nitrate (coffee filters only) as per Eras Gone video.

Eras Gone Bullet Molds is the company - the molds are made for him by the Lee Mold Company. I have the three calibers - .31, .36, and .44 Johnston & Dows bullet molds and just ordered the Kerr mold. The molds cast a very nice bullet. I also have the Cap & Ball paper cartridge former for the .36 and .44 caliber paper cartridge and it does a fine job with either hair curling paper or coffee filters that I have treated with potassium nitrate (coffee filters only) as per Eras Gone video.

Yup, as I noted in post #8.

I only need the decent conical mould for the .457" since I have only the one C&B handgun. I'm saddened to admit that although Mr H has a normal speaking voice it does not come over well for me, and I'm finding immense difficulty getting more than one word in ten out of my voice enhancer system. Being deaf is no fun, that's for sure. I currently make cartridges using nitrated cigarette papers and they work just fine, but I like to futz around with stuff, too.

The UK has Tanner & M' Quire who would I expect make the moulds for such conicals .Thev'e been going for years . Still active , They will do one offs with no problem always did even Whitworth Hexagonal moulds & Monkey tails not sure about Jacobs but do any belted balls .Probably Lorenze /Wilkinsons look them up . Regards

Jeff Tanner died. I have two of his ball moulds, but I didn't know that anybody was carrying on the motion in his name.

Dear Many Klatch . What post didn't work out ? Posts allways work out it keeps them fit .
Cheers Rudyard .

Les McQuires son is still making moulds h'es in Blackpool

Latest posts

Back