• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cap sizes?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eutycus

Cannon
Reaction score
If a person has revolver or rifle that uses #10s and all you can find is some #11s do you buy them anyway? If your gun uses #11s and you find some #10s,do you buy them? This is one of those opinion questions that has no right or wrong answer. My opinion is buy the larger size and in a pinch (pinch,get it?)you can make them work.

Buy new nipples that are sized for #11 caps. Track of the Wolf probably has them for whatever revolver you have. Loose fitting caps (pinched down #11 on #10 nipples) are a sure way to get a chain fire.

Buy new nipples that are sized for #11 caps. Track of the Wolf probably has them for whatever revolver you have. Loose fitting caps (pinched down #11 on #10 nipples) are a sure way to get a chain fire.
And keep the old ones so your gun uses both, right?

I'm using #10s on my Traditions Crockett rifle because I found 400 of them in a box of pistol stuff about a month ago. I'm using a TOW nipple that I filed/sanded down so the #10 caps fit firmly on it without extra effort. It's working like a charm.

Eutycus, some may not know but at least at one time there were differences between brands in cap sizes and even choices in the same brand of caps labelled as "10", "11", etc. Among my stashes of old things are a mixture of caps well over 100 years old. One difference is not only the diameter of the cap but also the length. I have some that are quite short - they work on a variety of pistol nipples the longer ones will not tho' they're the same diameter as the modern ones we see today. A too-long cap is bad ju-ju but will expose a flinch.

Goldmark is one that comes to mind among old ones, but also some Italian that were touted as "those hot Italian caps". You didn't have to do anything to the nipples, just had to find the right caps that fit a particular gun . We had choices back in the day. Old caps suck, too many duds.

Latest posts

Back