• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cap size.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TarponStalker

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I can’t believe in 50 years of shooting muzzleloaders I’ve never asked this but here goes.
What exactly is the difference in #10 and #11 percussion caps? I think I once read it’s not the diameter but the length.
On the Hawkin I built I use Hot Shot nipple. It’s never seemed to be particular about the cap size. However I have a Navy Arms shotgun that I have a little trouble with caps falling off. Plus I have a few times that the cap doesn’t pop on the shotgun. I’m thinking of replacing both nipples with 1/4 x 28 Hot Shots. I wonder if I’ve been using the wrong size caps. Any thoughts ?

In general long guns use #11. Revolvers #10 up to Dragoon then #11. All my 36 and 44 revolvers use #10 but my 44 Dragoon and Walker use #11. It's as matter of which primer the replacement nipple calls for. You can get #11 primer nipple to replace a musket cap nipple. I've seen same thread and come nipples for either #10 or #11. Which ever you choose to use you may have to alter the nipple to accept and fire it. Some depends on how the hammer strikes and or the spring strength.
Track of the Wolf gives good discription on the nipples they sell. Even then it may be necessary to tweak them to be confident with your particular gun.

It's my understanding that #10s are smaller and that's the only difference. I have never bought them myself. That said #11 caps differ in size slightly, one manufacturer to another.

I found the size chart below.

Cap Sizes.jpg

TarponStalker
Notice in Grenadier's chart, the #10 cap is either smaller in diameter (CCI) than the #11 or it's longer in length (Rem). Either of these conditions will make the cap fit a nipple that is smaller in diameter than the #11 nipple. The conditions will also make the #10 cap too small to fit on a #11 nipple.

(The RWS 1075 is for a #11 nipple)

Thanks for the help everyone. It almost appears there’s not a standard. Looks like it depends on the manuf. Being the nipple is cone shaped I’m thinking a longer cap may fit tighter as it’s pushed further on the nipple. However if it’s too tight it may not fit far enough down on the nipple and leave a gap inside the cap.
Dang. Too much thinking. I’ll buy a tin of each and see if there’s any difference.

You may have to just find what works on your piece and then later if you change nipples try again. The other option is if the nipple is too large, turn it down so the caps you have fit or replace them.

For me, #10 Remington caps fit all my rifles and handguns really well. Years ago I got a few bricks of #10 CCI caps cheap I turned down a set of stock nipples on a drill press using sandpaper I still have them somewhere. With the nipples resized the #10 CCI caps worked fine. The last time I saw #10 Remington caps They were 9.00 a hundred. I am not paying that much for caps. I found #11 CCi caps for 4.99 a hundred so I bought a brick. I have a Cap sizer I made from a pair of dollar store wire cutters. I just drill a hole in them. It works pretty well better than pinching them. I came across this how-to on using a 4mm socket to resize caps. This sizer works really good and once you get going it is pretty fast. Here is the link to the how-to. caps coming off Pietta 1858 remington .44

Back